68

A flag flies proudly on a hill: a white skull with horns against a black background.

“That’s…” Eliza said.

Lucille is the one holding it up as she strains to look at the castle. “King Merle! King Merle! King Merle, King Merle…!” she wails. “I’m sorry I’ve broken yet another promise! But, I… I can’t think of a future without you, King Merle!”

The heroes were stunned by Lucille’s sudden appearance; Dorothy and Hawkins follow Eliza out to the balcony and look out to the hill as well.

“Hah! Nothing will change if there’s only one demon!” Dorothy said.

“No, hold on,” Hawkins said.

The Demon King’s symbol appears again, this time on Slime’s body. Then yet more of her symbol, on the citizens, the monsters, and the residents of Pekona, a multitude of horned skulls cover the hill.

“This is impossible!” Dorothy cried, slamming her fist down as she saw the army before her.

“King Merle!” Lucille said. “We’re going to save you now!”

The army roars into action, rushing down the hill and straight for the capital like an avalanche.

“I don’t understand, I don’t understand, I don’t understand!” Dorothy screams. “Why are you all on the Demon King’s side?! Why are you rebelling against us?! Dragons! Burn the rebels alive!”

Dorothy thrusts her hand out, the wingless and winged dragons charge towards the hill.

The Demon King’s army rushes into the castle as one.

“We can’t forgive ourselves! We put our futures on the shoulders of a single girl! We entrusted her with our lives! We were fools! Now, we’ll save the Demon King…!”

“Trouble incoming! The dragons are here!”

The citizens at the front clash with the wingless dragons on the ground. Even though the dragons several times larger than a human, they overwhelm them with sheer numbers and cut them down.

Back at the hill, the painter Attai holds several brushes in her hand, drawing a horned skull and crossbones on the backs of the monsters and the citizens. “Come on, get over here, damn it! I’ll strengthen you for as long as I’ve got magical power! If you think you’re too weak, then get over her already, damn it!”

The finished skulls light up, granting the wielders strength and magical power, enough to fight a dragon.

“This battle isn’t a legendary tale where the Hero slays the Demon King but a revolution for our New Era!” Ramiel says. “Come now, Page, unleash your power!”

“Leave it to me, Ramiel!” Page cried.

Ramiel casts light magic, Page erupts in a brilliant orange aura and charges for the castle, cutting down every dragon with a single slash.

“I don’t care if she’s a Demon King or a Hero! I’ll pay her back for her gratitude!”

Page cries as his sword glows, he splits a dragon clean in two.

“Why? Why?! I don’t understand, why are you trying to save the Demon King?!” Dorothy screamed, trembling as she saw the humans, demons, and monsters working together as one.

They’re pointing their weapons at those who were supposed to be the Heroes. Why? Why? Why?

She asks repeatedly but gets no answer.

So sure she was the Hero and the agent of Justice, Dorothy looks down and away, she couldn’t bear to see the reality before her.

“Don’t you know, Dorothy?” Eliza says. “This is the answer.”

She points her blade at Dorothy’s neck.

Merle was losing consciousness. She’d lost Levantine, she was certain that the wound on her back would kill her.

“I wanted to see Lucille.”

She hears her voice as her vision begins to fade. Her voice calling from far away. Her voice apologizing for breaking another promise. She could already see her crying face like all those times before.

“Lucille…”

Merle chooses to smile than cry; it’s not like that wasn’t how she always looked.

Merle wanted to see Lucille wearing a wedding dress.

Power rises in Merle’s body once more. As Levantine puts his hilt in Merle’s hand, Merle slowly gets up despite the pain.

“I’m made so many promises… I’m about to break my promises… I… I’m not dead yet!”