46

A goblin visits Merle as she sits on her throne. He probably came from the horde, with that bandage on his leg and the crutch at his side.

“I have a report for the Demon King,” he said.

“You’re one of the monsters that charged in earlier,” Merle said. “I have to ask: what happened?”

“That’s what I’m reporting about.”

“Oh, hold on a moment, Lucille, get this goblin a chair, it must be hard for him to stand like that,” Merle said.

“Thank you very much.”

The goblin sits down on the chair and began his report.

“Why were so many monsters injured?” Merle asked.

“We were slaughtered by a party of Heroes,” he said.

“Heroes?”

“Yes,” the goblin said. “Among them, we saw a blonde Hero with a saw-like sword.”

“I’ve met several of them before but are they the same ones?” Merle asked.

“Maybe,” the goblin said. “That Hero had others with her; another Hero with big boobs, a wizard, and a dwarf.”

“Oh, that’s a formidable party.”

“Especially the Hero with the saw, she was like a demon,” the goblin said. “She attacked all monsters in her sight and wouldn’t stop swinging until were dead. She’s so ruthless the others can’t even try to stop her.”

“She sounds completely insane.”

“I headed for the city since I heard only the Demon King can stop her,” the goblin said. “The monsters who felt the same joined up and we ended up coming here as a horde.”

“King Merle, the Heroes you’ve met so far didn’t have that much power but maybe they’ve gotten some new strength,” Lucille says.

Merle sucks in a breath. She had expected that the Heroes who were too weak and lost against her would come for a rematch. Up till now, it was all within her expectations, but what the goblin’s saying is too extreme.

“It’s as the Succubus says,” the goblin said. “Even if they’re a Hero, their descendants must have gotten weaker as their blood ran thinner. The fact they’re causing such atrocities makes me sure they’ve gained some new power.”

“A power stronger than me?”

“–I don’t know about that. But they are a party; I don’t doubt that they’re too dangerous to fight alone.”

“Ah… I see,” Merle said. “Thank you, Goblin.”

“I hope this helps,” the goblin said. “The Demon King is our only hope.”

“I hope it helps too,” Merle said. “But now that you guys have been treated, do you have a place to return to?”

“About that… all the monsters are too afraid of the Heroes to head back out again,” the goblin said.

“Is that so?” Merle said. “Then let’s house everyone in the city.”

“Are you sure about this, King Merle?”

“We’ll be fine,” Merle said. “Well, actually, we should probably gather the citizens before the castle.”

“Understood,” Lucille said.

She relayed the grave news from Merle to the city, the citizens who heard it gathered in front of the castle, a collection of the humans who believed the Demon King was altruistic, and the monsters who wanted to know what was going to happen next. It was a strange sight to have so many different varieties of humans, monsters, and demons gathering together, but no one seemed to be bothered.

Merle stood on the balcony to see them all; some saw Merle for the first time and asked her to turn around to face them.

“Everyone!” Merle called out. “I’ll be housing the monsters here from today! Please cooperate!”

“Yes!”

“Understood!”

As it was the Demon King’s decree, no one dared to refuse.

“That is all! You are all dismissed!”

And with that, Merle turned on her heels and returned to the castle; but she wasn’t the only one moving to act.

The residents grouped up by occupation and began holding meetings on the spot, discussing what they needed to house the monsters and meet their other needs. Merle had already declared that the castle and the resources inside could be used freely and the news had spread to everyone.

In short, they could just take what they need without asking.

First were the carpenters, strong-looking men gathered around in a circle. “We’ve got big monsters, so we’re going to need a house that’s at least three stories tall.”

“First up, we’ll have to collect the wood. I’ll gather the raw materials with this group. You guys please process it afterward.”

“Right. There should still be space east of the Residential District, so let’s build there.”

“We’ll start construction as soon as the materials are carried in. We’re going to need as much as we can get. Bring tools from the castle while you’re at it, too.”

With foremen assigned and workflow designed, the carpenters began to move. But when they tried to collect some wood, monsters like goblins and golems got in their way.

“Hey, I’m trying to build you a place to live here,” one of them said. “Whatever it is, it can wait.”

“We already heard about that and we feel bad you’re doing all this work,” a goblin said. “Let us help. We’re all confident in our skills; it’s a piece of cake to cut down a tree.”

“Well, isn’t that good news? If you can help, we can get this done sooner than planned. Follow my lead!”

“Thank you very much!”

“Thank me after you’ve got a roof over your head!”