Chapter Forty - Nerve System

"Hmm. This is strange. And it definitely not an effect from her quirk?" The doctor asked, examining Katsu's hair. "No, her quirk lets her grow plants from herself. There's nothing that should allow her hair to glow like this." Irie said. The doctor laid back in his seat, wondering if his thought was correct. "Well I have a suspicion on what it could be but I'd have to run a few tests first." He said, typing on his keyboard to schedule another appointment. "Could you say what you think it is?" Irie asked, hoping for nothing bad. "Well, what I think it is, it's extremely rare. There have only been a few cases and even then, it's not properly documented. There's the possibility... she may be a multi-quirk." He stated. Irie looked at Katsu, who didn't seem to understand what they were talking about. "Now, this is just a theory. We'd have to run a few more tests to be certain but it's the only possibility that makes sense. I recommend not worrying. That'll be it for her check up." The doctor stood and extended his hand for Irie to shake. Before he left the room, he quickly turned around. "Oh, another thing. I also recommend not cutting or straining her hair in any way. It may have heightened nerves. That just means that they could have its own nerve system and may be sensitive." He smiled and nodded as he left.

"Mumma? What did the doctor mean by a multi-quirk?" Katsu asked as the pair were walking home. "I'm not sure, cutie. The doctor said they'd have to do a few more tests but it's nothing bad." Irie reassured. "Ok. Does that mean more needles?" Katsu asked, looking at the cotton on her arm. "Maybe but you're my brave little girl." She replied, stroking her head earning a shiver from Katsu. "Your head is more sensitive, innit?" She asked. "Yeah, but it's fine. I love my hair and the colours." Katsu said, hair glowing yellow with happiness. Irie smiled at her but deep down was dreading what he would have to say when they got home. They had all had managed to hide it from him somehow because they didn't know how he would react. He was power-hungry and abused any sign of strength with his children. Katsu had already been through a lot due to her quirk and it had only been a year since she gained it. Irie was left to sit and watch the abuse of her own children. She knew if she got involved, she'd be a victim too and that wouldn't help anyone. All she could do was hope that he wouldn't over-react.

Ibuki knocked on Katsu's door. "Hey, Katsu. Please let me in." She got silence. "If it makes you feel better, Mumma's okay. She's resting in Ryu's room." There was still no answer. "Please don't blame yourself for what Dad did. It's really not your fault. I'm leaving your dinner out here. You need to eat." She placed the tray of food right next to the door. She sighed, knowing how unhelpful she was in this situation. "Love you, Maki." She sighed as she left. Katsu was in her closet, brushing her hair, which was a deep blue. She knew her mother wasn't okay. The only thing she could do was blame herself. Her and her stupid multi-quirk. Suddenly, she had an idea. She got out from the closet and made her way to her school supplies box. She pulled out a pair of scissors. While she had the plan simply mapped out in her head, she didn't remember the consequences. As soon as the scissors cut through one of her braids, she let out a scream. The pain was as if a vital limb had been cut. She looked at the cut braid in her hand and watched as it lost its colour and turned white.

"Hina, I have a quick question." Mina said. The two girls were in Mina's room. Mina was sitting on her bed as Hina was sitting on the floor, in front of her. "Yeah, what's up?" She asked, painting her nails. "How long is your hair?" Mina asked as she was styling her hair. "Last time I checked around 26 inches. Why?" She replied. "I was just wondering. Because it must be a lot to deal with. Especially since it's platted. Have you ever thought of cutting it?" The question made Hina remember the day when she did. She could remember the white-hot pain that coursed through her. "I have cut it before." She simply said. She moved back some braids until she reached one that was considerably shorter than the other. "I've tried to cut my hair before. Because of my quirk, it's excruciatingly painful. Also it grows a lot more slower." Mina touched the braid, being able to see the damage. "Damn. Guess it makes sense though. It's kinda like Tangled rules. Don't cut the magic hair." Mina laughed.

"Yeah, guess so. But at least Rapunzel didn't feel any pain when hers was cut. Anyway, even if I could, I don't think I'd cut it. I like my hair long." Hina said, swishing it around, making the two laugh. "Another question. Did you always have plats?" Mina asked. "Nah, my mother braided it for me when I was younger. I haven't tried to take it out, I don't know if it'll hurt or not and I'd rather not try." She explained. "Aw, I would love to see you with afro hair. You'd look so cute." Mina pouted, making Hina laugh. "I have actually been thinking about that. How about this. If, one day, I try and take the plats out and it doesn't hurt, you'll be the first one to see the end result." Hina said. Mina hugged her from behind. "This. This is why we're friends." She said, sniffling and wiping away fake tears.

"Seriously? Her hair feels pain?" Dabi asked as he watched Kazuya flick through a file in his hand, pacing the room. "Yup. Says here when she first developed the quirk, she cut a piece of hair off and fainted from the pain. It doesn't explain the science behind it but I'm pretty sure it's to do with the fact that her hair is connected to her emotions, which are chemical reactions sent to the brain. So her hair is connected to her brain and therefor, her nerve system." He explained. Dabi nodded in understanding. "I don't understand how this is useful. If you want to get back at her, shouldn't you be looking for weaknesses elsewhere?" Kazuya asked. "I need to know everything about her quirks. They're evolving every second and who knows when she'll develop her next. It never hurt to know everything about them. Also, that's pretty useful." He replied as he stood up from his seat. "I know how you get when it comes to breaking the rules so thanks for doing this for me." He said, stroking his cheek.

"Well, technically, I'm not breaking the rules. I'm now her new nurse for her check ups so I kinda have to know her medical history." Kazuya added, making Dabi smirk. "That's good to know." Even though Kazuya was happy to see Dabi happy, there was still a pit in his stomach. "Dabi, can you just promise you won't go... too hard on her? I know I can't stop you from doing this and the only reason I'm helping you with this is because if I don't, you'll get the information in a much more violent way. But she's been through a lot. You should know what it's like." Kazuya said as he reached out to touch Dabi's scars to only have his hand slapped out of the way. "Like I said, it depends on how much she refuses. Either way, you shouldn't worry yourself about that. Thanks for the info." He said, kissing him on the forehead. "It's pretty late, you might as well stay the night." He added, looking out of the cracked window of his apartment. "Yeah. Just no funny business today, I'm tired." Kazuya stated. Dabi just laughed as he looked at him and smirked. "Sure thing."