Chapter 23

Ahan's PoV:

To see Ashiya Zarin all afraid and nervous was a sight to behold. Looking at her face I figured out that it was her who had spilled the grease on the floor for some odd reason. She looked really terrified of me. Huh! This is nice...

Before I could say anything to her, we heard someone giggling and a woman came running downstairs. She opened her mouth to say something to Ashiya but stopped immediately as she saw me. Eyeing me from top to bottom and noticing my condition, her eyes went wide as she turned to Ashiya. They looked at each other for few seconds, talking through their eyes and shook their heads in regret.

Meanwhile, Khala returned with the basket and apologised to me, again. I reassured her that I was fine and there was no need to be sorry. She asked me to follow her to the guest room and I did but not before eyeing Ashiya who in turn stared at me with her almond shaped eyes full of fear and innocence.

.

.

.
Author's PoV:

Ashiya chewed on her nails as she sat on the kitchen counter, thinking of what Ahan must be thinking. She assured herself that she didn't care about his opinion on her but feared her mother's reaction if she found out about the incident.

"You are going to eat off your fingers if you don't stop," Banu commented as she chopped onions and put them on the frying pan. "Here," she handed Ashiya a plate full of samosas, "take these to the gentleman."

"That jinnaat is going to eat me off if I go anywhere near him," Ashiya whisper yelled, "I bet he'll tell Ammi. I know that he knows."

"Then go and talk to him. Tell him that the prank wasn't intended for him. I'm sure he'll understand."

"Yeah, right," Ashiya rolled her eyes when Saba entered the kitchen and ordered her to take the plate to Ahan. Reciting Ayat ul Qurshi, she marched upstairs to meet the jinnaat.

Ashiya's PoV:

The door to the guest room was open so I entered and placed the samosas on the bed. There was no table in the room after the last one broke when I climbed on it to clean the ceiling fan. I heard the washroom door opening and Ahan stepped out. His clothes were clean now but still a bit wet. He was in his formal attire, baby blue shirt and black pants. His goggles were inside his breast pocket along with his handkerchief. I suddenly realised I was checking him out so I did the best thing to not make it look obvious.

"You look awful," I blurted out. What? I needed to say that so that he thinks I was mentally criticising his looks.

"Thanks to you," he glared and I bit down on my lip, "Is this your way of welcoming your guests?"

"I'm really very sorry, that prank wasn't planned for you. Actually I was supposed to have a suitor come here and I really don't want to get married so I planned all of this to anger him and make him reject me. I don't know why he didn't show up but you did and became a prey to all of this. I know you're really mad but please don't say anything to Ammi or else she'll kill me. Please," I said everything in one go and gave him a puppy eyed look.

"You were supposed to have a suitor?" He asked with a weird look. What? Out of all the things I said, he only heard that suitor part? Idiot! But of course, I could not say that to him so I just nodded. He kept looking me for about twenty seconds before Ammi came with a glass of coke. That was supposed to be mine!!!

"Here, have these snacks. And you have to stay for the dinne--"

"I'm sorry, Khala, but I have an emergency. I need to go immediately," Ahan took out his goggles and put them on.

"What? But you just came. At least have some snacks," Ammi suggested but Ahan politely declined it saying that he needed to attend an important work. He had to drink the coke though, because Ammi insisted and then he left after saying Allah Hafiz and giving me a quizzical look. Wonder what's wrong with him.

Author's PoV:

Saba knew what was wrong with Ahan. She was at the doorstep when she heard her daughter blabbering about how she wanted to prank the suitor. The suitor had cancelled his meeting because he had to go out of town. Saba, upon hearing Ashiya's plan, was shocked and what shocked her more was the gentleman's question to her daughter.
After hearing her blabbering, the only question Ahan had was that if she was supposed to have a suitor. Something seemed fishy. And then, the way he looked at Ashiya before rushing out so quickly added fuel to the fire. It seemed that the gentleman had a thing for her daughter. She needed to talk to Mariam.

--------------------------------------------------------------