BONUS (final)

Reminder: Pray and make dua for the people of Palestine, Afghanistan, Congo, Sudan, the Uyghur Muslims and all those who are oppressed and suffering.

Ashiya's PoV:

Ahan and I were back at our place. Throughout the drive back home, we didn't talk to each other. I kept stealing a few glances at his side profile but his posture remained motionless. When we entered our house, he simply made his way to his study room whereas I decided to change my clothes and do the laundry.

It was during lunch when I placed the dishes on the dining table and waited for him. He came out within a couple of minutes as he knew the usual time of our meals. Taking a seat beside me, he began to put food on his plate.

He had taken off his previous outfit and was now wearing a simple white tee shirt with grey sweatpants. Looking at his hair, I guessed that he had taken a shower though I couldn't understand when. He was starting to look like the man he was when I had first met him. Grumpy and arrogant. How could he not talk to me? Was the argument more important to him than our relationship? I'd have been fine if he had just shouted at me or scolded me instead of giving me this silent treatment. His calmness was getting on my nerves.

I took a bite of the bread and the chicken that I had cooked for us. The morsel felt too heavy to be swallowed. I could see him eating at a slower pace than usual, keeping his focus on his plate and chewing peacefully.

Deciding that it was time to give him a piece of mind, I opened my mouth but was stopped by the sudden ringing of my phone. I checked the caller id and saw that it was Asif, one of the new interns. Confused, I accepted the call and put the phone on speaker.

“Hello,” I greeted.

“Hey, Ashiya. This is Asif. I'm sorry to be disturbing you on your day off but this is urgent,” he spoke from the other side. I could sense that Ahan had stopped eating and was now listening to my conversation with Asif. “An old man with COPD has been brought to the emergency section. He's breathing heavily and his pulse rate has gone too slow. Today was supposed to be Dr. Rehan’s duty in this section but due to some reason, he is absent. The other doctors are busy as well. Can you please come quickly? I don't think I'm capable of handling the patient on my own.”

“Listen to me,” I got up from my chair and ran to my room, “don't panic and hear my words carefully. Do not give him oxygen. It will only worsen the situation. Just run an ABG test on him and I'll be there in twenty minutes.”

I grabbed my white coat and my stethoscope, and wrapped the first hijab that I could find inside my closet. I descended the stairs and was about to leave the house when I saw Ahan waiting for me at the door. He was holding his car keys when our eyes met and I, without saying or asking anything, understood his intention.

He was driving me to the hospital.

.

.

.

“Alhamdulillah,” I smiled as I exited the emergency room after taking care of the case and the patient who was now fine and breathing normally. Asif walked out with me as he sighed in relief.

“I was about to faint out of anxiety,” he let out a nervous laugh and I shook my head at him.

“Unfortunately, you aren't allowed to do that. As a doctor, you're supposed to stay strong in these situations and not panic.” I had not intended to sound strict but Asif straightened up and offered me an apologetic look.

“I'm sorry, I won't do it again,” he rubbed his neck.

I waved my hand at him, “It's fine. Just be careful and you'll do good.” We stepped out of the hospital building and talked about our work. Asif was twenty two years old and was put on training for six months under me. Being his senior, I felt the responsibility to share my experiences and learnings with him in order to encourage him. “You'll face many challenges like this in future, some will be even tougher. So be prepared, both physically and mentally.”