Chapter 56

Reminder: Offer your salahs if you haven't already. 

Now enjoy:)

Author's PoV:

"So which month are you on?" asked an old woman to Ashiya who was taking a blood sample of her. The woman had come for her regular check up and had known Ashiya for quite some time. They made small talk every time they met.

Ashiya smiled as she put cotton on the woman's arm, "It's my last trimester." She had been feeling a little nauseous but wasn't ready to go home. Ahan had wanted her to stay indoors, safe and comfortable, but she wanted to do her duties for as long as she could. She knew she could get maternity leave but she wanted to save those holidays in order to have them after the birth of her baby.

"Oh, that's nice," the woman commented, "May I?" She wanted to touch Ashiya's belly and the latter happily allowed her to do it. "I wish you and your baby all the love and health."

Ashiya left the hospital around seven in the evening and got picked up by Ahan. She noticed that there was a paper bag on the passenger seat. "What's that?"

"Snacks," he answered and expected his wife to smile like she usually did but got a yawn in return. "I got you your favourite banana chips and whipped cream. There's also some chicken nuggets and fries."

"Hmm," was all she replied and closed her eyes. Ahan tried to ask her about how her day was but she shushed him and asked him to stay quiet. She had been getting irritated a lot these days, especially since her third trimester started. Ahan understood that it was her hormones that caused her to be so annoyed at anything and everything and decided not to disturb her. He knew she could erupt like a volcano if prompted.

At home, Ashiya lay slouched on the couch while Ahan prepared some tea for himself. She was munching down on the nuggets when she suddenly looked up at her husband. "I want coffee," she said and earned a blank look from him.

"You already had your dose of caffeine in the morning," he shook his head and saw Ashiya's expression turn into an irked one. Her gynaecologist had told her not to consume much caffeine for the safety of the foetus.

"So you're denying me my coffee? You are refusing to let the woman who's carrying your child have a beverage of her choice? You are being mean to your wife, the mother of your offspring?" Ashiya was now standing with her hands on her hips, her eyebrows furrowed and chest heaving. Ahan tried to speak but he was not sure how to present his argument without the risk of getting killed by his own wife. Pregnant women are dangerous, he thought and shook his head.

"My dear," he approached her slowly, "I know it's hard for yo-"

"No you don't."

Ahan sighed and placed his hands on her shoulder, and although she had been feeling angry towards him, she couldn't help but automatically relax at his touch. "Baby, I am sorry for all the struggles you're facing. I wish, trust me, I wish I could help you by taking the physical weight off your body. I can't even imagine the difficulties you're facing but I am here. Just hang on, it will be over soon. I promise I'll stay by your side."

Ashiya looked down and kept her focus on the floor for a few seconds. Ahan saw her hands leaving her hips and reaching her face. She stood soundless for sometime before letting out a small sniff and then trying to muffle it with her palm.

"Are you crying?" Ahan's voice came out panicked. In the two and a half years of their marriage, this was the first time he had seen her crying. It was new for him. And scary. He had no idea how to react or what to say. He immediately engulfed his tiny wife in his arms, rubbing her back and patting her head. Even in the last stage of her pregnancy, Ashiya hadn't gained much weight, managing to fit easily in his embrace. "Ya Allah! Ashiya please don't cry. Did I say something that hurt you? Are you mad at me? Just hit me if you're angry but please don't cry."

Ashiya said something against his chest but it only came out as a mumble. She went to say a bunch of other stuff that went completely over Ahan's head but he nodded at her anyway.

"It's fine, I'm here," he kept on repeating until he felt her breathing getting normal. He made her sit on the couch and gave her some water. Her face had become red and her nose runny. He wiped it with his sleeve, keeping her close.

"I am-"

A hiccup interrupted her speech and she drank more water to calm her throat down. Ahan sat patiently, watching her and trying his best to not be anxious.

"I am scared," she finally managed to let out. She had been feeling nervous since her third trimester started, anticipating and dreading the moment she'd be taken into labour. Being a doctor, she had witnessed a number of women nearly passing out during childbirth. The thought of going through the pain, the emotional and physical strength it would take to push out a human being out of her body, terrorised her. "I am scared, Ahan. I don't know how I'll get through the labour pain. What if something goes wrong? What if I– what if–"

"Listen to me," Ahan took Ashiya's face in his hands and made her look into his eyes. The fright in them broke his heart. "You can do it. You're a strong woman and you will get through this. We will get through this. I will not leave your side. Both you and our child are gonna be safe. Just have faith in Allah. Insha Allah! He will make things easy for us."

Ashiya studied her husband's face and her mind registered his words. Her hiccups had stopped and she now sat silent. After a long moment she finally gave a nod. "Okay," she breathed calmly.

"Okay," Ahan repeated and smiled at her. He brought his lips down on hers, hushing the turmoil of emotions they had experienced minutes ago. "Come, let's watch some television," he suggested after pulling back.

Ashiya eyed his lips and then his face,"Umm, Ahan?"

"Yes?"

"I…" she bit her lip thoughtfully, making Ahan think if something was wrong again.

"I'm listening," he placed his hand on her thigh in a reassuring manner.

"I don't know why…maybe it's the hormones I guess…," Ashiya refused to meet his gaze as she played with the button of his shirt. "Umm…I think I want you to kiss me again…?"

Ahan blinked at the woman in front of him. Just when he thought he had had his quota of surprises for the day, she threw another bomb at him. "Ashiya…I-" he shook his head in disbelief. His wife was one beautifully peculiar woman. "I don't think I will ever stop being surprised by you," he chuckled fondly.

"What?" Ashiya questioned innocently.

Still shaking his head, closed the remaining gap between their bodies. "Nothing," he mused, "let me shower you with kisses all night."

_________________________________________

Hello! What do you think about pregnant Ashiya? Ain't she scary? The behaviour of Ashiya in this chapter is inspired by some of the pregnant women I've seen in my life. Their mood changes were real challenges for their husbands and I kinda felt sympathetic towards them. I also realise how difficult it is for all the women who are and have been pregnant. Huge respect to all of them, the ones who have nurtured life inside their bodies. It's not an easy thing.

Anyway, please don't forget to vote and comment and let me know your views about the chapter.