Chapter one

Raphael sat in front of me looking like he had simply stepped off the catwalk. He was pure hotness, as always. "Baby, you rock my world! Never have I wanted to be someone's man as I desire to be yours; I'm nothing without you, Harriet."

I slammed the book shut and pushed it away.

I'm not Harriet, I'm Gracie Carteri. I'm seventeen and the most unpopular girl in the world-what could be worse than that? It could be a lot worse. Who was I to complain? I mean, it's not like it bothers me anymore.

I have the best parents ever. Yes, they comfort me with all the love, affection, conversation a girl needs, but at times I just wish I was a part of that clique group, or even a social butterfly.

But, no! I'm just plain old me. I think my only chance of that would be to dye my hair lime green or magenta pink. I giggled inwardly.

Mum and Dad try to comfort me, saying I'm not any of those things that I think about myself; but it just doesn't help. They're biased; I'm almost 5ft 10 with a wide frame; long legs. I have long flowing dark brown hair, but what sets off my whole look is my blue eyes. I have a slight birthmark on my left cheek Mum says I was kissed by an angel the day I was born. Which, if I'm honest, isn't all that bad, but others seem to think I look hideous. It sticks in my mind. So I've gotten to the point now where I get nervous about going out, even just to a shop in case people stare.

Ever heard of a girl hiding away? Well I do, in black normally, hiding in others' shadows. Or I just stay indoors, dancing to YouTube music videos, reading my mountain of books, or creating Gracieland, wherever that may be. Over the years, I've also created a boyfriend-of- the-week system; this seems to work out pretty well actually.

Books are very much my favourite pastime. Imagining I'm the actual lead role in them, but not just any character: the leading lady in Romance novels or the one who got bitten in the vampire books.

I also enjoy daydreaming a lot, making myself look how I want to look to fit in, being a part of something bigger and better.

See, society today assumes you have to look a certain way to fit in. Well, you know what I say when they assume-they make an ass out of you and me.

I turned round to look at my bed, where Mum had neatly folded my uniform.

I had school in an hour, but I really didn't want to go; I was quite happy daydreaming.

I was at a fancy dress party with some really fit guy having a slow dance... A girl can dream, right? I giggled to myself. Life was so much easier when I was a baby or even a toddler maybe.

I never had to worry about trying to make friends or fit in; I may have once had friends, but it was one of a very faint memory if I'm honest.

When I started nursery, it was a different matter. I felt like the odd one out from day one. I was a lot bigger than the other children, so kids noticed, making remarks I never fully understood, but it did make me feel uncomfortable, feeling somewhat out of place. However, nothing I did to try to fit in made one bit of difference.

It never got any easier. I was hoping things would but in fact, it just got worse; the torment and bullying started the very first day I attended primary school. I started to believe the things they were saying, like, "Go back to fat land." Was there such a place? Would I be accepted there?

They would trip me, bursting out laughing with their friends, jeering, making comments like, "It won't hurt you; you'll just bounce or roll." Where did kids learn such nasty things.

I would never hurt anyone like that. It's just cruel. I was becoming more and more withdrawn, spending time in teachers' rooms, or in the toilet.

I never ate at school either, god forbid the reactions or comments I would get. I never made any friends, nor did I want to. I really think it was for the best, no matter how much it pained me to be so alone.