Chapter twenty five

I awoke to voices. Voices I would never have been able to have heard  when I was human. What where they angry over?

I listened closer, they were talking about me! I sat up, wrapping my hands around my knees. Jo, Taylor, and Leighton were arguing between themselves about how I got myself in the situation.

Simone and Evie were discussing the paperwork I would have to fill out to be accounted for in the vampire society. But they we're also saying, I should keep quiet about it for now. There maybe a few of Reaba's family members, or even friends, that might be out for revenge.

Really? Surely they would know I could hear them. The only voices I couldn't hear were Fealan's, Joshua's and Drako's.

I lay there just thinking. Thirteen hours ago I was human. I should never have gone into that coffee shop. Nobody should be arguing over me, or discussing my future, that was down to me. My life was my own.

I have to start accounting for myself. I got up and walked over to the light switch, turning it on. I cringed, the light was so bright, I noticed there were so many other shades of colour in it I had never seen before.

Blinking, I walked over to the wardrobe and pulled out my suitcase. I started packing. Tomorrow I'll sign the paperwork that somehow makes me legit, I'll say my goodbyes to my friends and I'll fly out to America to be with my parent's.

I'll come back when I choose to, not a day sooner. Of course, I'm going to miss everyone, but now I have to think of me, and me only.

Suddenly I heard footsteps. I quickly shoved my suitcase under my bed, turned the light out and jumped back into bed.

Seconds later I heard the doorknob turning. I knew who it was before they stepped through the door. It was Jo. She tiptoed over and got into bed next to me.

"Gracie. Gracie, are you awake?" I laid silent not saying a word, she laid with her arm draped over me, she continued speaking, I reckon she knew I was listening.

"I know you hate me. Everyone knows we did you wrong today. We do this kinda thing all the time, yet the one person we love with all our heart, we couldn't save till it was too late! We are all truly sorry. We'll forever be trying to make it up to you, but it will never be enough. I'm so sorry. Friends forever?"

That was all it took for me to be sobbing again. She heard me. I turned around and cuddled into her arms. I nodded. "Friends forever!"

She was crying too, now. "Oh, Gracie, I thought I lost you today. I was going out my mind with worry." I hugged her tighter.

"It's ok, Jo, you didn't lose me, I'm right here."

She ran her hand through my hair. "I know, but it's not the point." We laid there in silence for quite sometime before she spoke again.

"Leighton is so worried about you, what's going on? I know he's been a dick but he loves you!"

I huffed I told her all what Reaba had said, Jo shook her head. "There's no way, hon. She was lying to you. Trying to make you angry. Turn you against him. For whatever psychotic reason, Reaba was jealous. We all know there's no way that happened."

I listened to everything Jo said, and it sounded like Reaba, but it didn't change my mind about things. I needed to talk to Leighton about it all, and then decide.

I love him so much, but now, I didn't know if love was enough.

Would love be the very thing that destroys me?

When I woke the sun was piercing through my curtain. It was so bright I had to squint. I turned round to see Jo still fast asleep. I got up feeling very energised, and headed for the shower.