chapter nine

I awakened late in the afternoon to the beautiful sound of a bird chorus right outside Jo's window. It made me feel cheerful. I looked over to see Jo leaning against her window looking at me, in what seemed to be admiration.

We had ended up staying the entire night, laughing, joking, reveling in everyones surprise. We had finally crawled into our beds when the sun was creeping through the black sky, we ended up sleeping the entire day away.

Mum and Dad obviously couldn't be dragged away, so I went to bed with the others, whilst the adults stayed down chatting and celebrating.

They were obviously so much a team back in those days, I doubt they would ever be separated now.

After taking a long soak in the bath, I followed Jo downstairs, the party still seemed to be alive and kicking, although my Mum and Dad were both looking a little exhausted, typical humans. I goggles inwardly.

All of a sudden my Dad was twirling me around the kitchen, "There's my beautiful girl! Gracie, thank you so much for getting us all back together. We had no idea you had finally found them after all these years," he said, flushed.

"That's ok, Dad. Now can you stop? You're making me giddy. Let's just call it an extra £30 allowance a month and were even." Dad was in stitches and everyone joined in.

After sitting around listening to some more amazing stories and eating dinner with all of my family, new and old, Jo and I returned to her room for the night.

"How do you feeling about everything now, hon?"

"Yeah, I'm good babe. If my Mum and Dad were cool with it all those years ago I can be too. They are the strongest people I know." Jo hugged me so tightly.

"So are you, hon. Never forget that. Now get your ass out on the veranda, Leighton has a surprise for you." I giggled, thinking about it

"What's the surprise?" I was getting excited. Jo shook her head defiantly, not even giving me a clue.

"Ok, just don't go to sleep without me." Jo rolled her eyes.

"You're joking right, I want a moment to moment relay of what happens." Then she poked her tongue out at me.

As I stepped out on the veranda my jaw dropped to the floor in shock. The veranda was covered in twinkling lights, a table with two chairs sat in the middle. and there, in all his glory, was Leighton. He walked towards me.

"Evening, beautiful. I wanted to do something special for you tonight because I think you're amazing Gracie. You really do deserve nothing but the best." He took my hand and walked me over to the table, pulling the chair out as I sat down. He clapped his hands and Fealan came out holding a tray with the biggest ice cream sundae I'd ever seen. I giggled. I know they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but the way to a girl's heart was certainly ice cream.

I looked up at Fealan, smiling, he gave me a wink and went back inside. Leighton took the ice cream and Cokes off the tray, placing them on the table. He picked up two spoons and passed me one. We sat eating ice cream, and chatting about regular thing., When we were near the bottom he looked at me, smiling.

"Gracie, I know I asked you if you would be mine. I know you said yes, but it wasn't really the right time, was it? I was rushing a little, but I think after yesterday's revelations it feels more appropriate, so here goes. Gracie when I first met you I knew you were the one I'd been searching for. I've been searching in all the wrong places. You found me, and I've never felt something so strong, yet so pure at the same time. Will you be mine forever?" Those last words were almost a whisper.