Chapter fifteen

The morning after was a painful experience for everyone. Mum and Evie had shared numerous hugs and emotions, I think Dad and Drako felt it too. It felt like a whole family was being torn apart.

I was finding it hard to hold back the tears. The journey to the airport was probably the longest journey I will ever take but I knew it would only be a short while till I saw them again.

"Honey, are you sure you won't come? We'll miss you! Call us everyday, and remember dad will put money in your account every week without fail. It will zoom past, I promise, then we will be together again." I hugged my mum tight, breathing her in deeply.

"Oh and remember in the summer holidays, all of you will come to us for half of it. Are you really sure this is what you want? I love you so much Gracie. I'll miss you everyday."

"Janet come on love, she's upset look at her, you know she can't speak when she's upset. Mum hugged me even tighter, then dad pulled her aside to pull me into his arms.

"Gracie, my darling daughter. You made me so proud the day you were born. Even today looking at you standing on you own two feet, you're making me even prouder."

Tears were welling up. I couldn't swallow the big lump forming in my throat. My dad was right I couldn't speak.

"I love you! We'll see you soon. Until then, my beautiful girl, be happy. I know you will. They'll look after you. Oh god, I tell your Mum to behave, and yet here I am acting the same."

I hugged my dad so tight, breathing him in for the last time. "I'll miss you Gracie Lou." Tears were flooding now, It brought back so many memories when he called me that, one more than any other.

It was my first dance at school, and obviously nobody wanted to go with me, so I stayed at home.

When I went up to listen to music that evening after tea, there was a dress draped across the bed. It really was the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen in my life. I put it on, and then there was a knock at the door.

I opened it and my dad was there he was all suited up and he came in, we danced in my room, it was his way of telling me I would go to the dance.

He always made me feel like I was his princess, like I was perfect. I held all those memories close to my heart.

Was I really making the right decision? Will I regret this? Only time would tell.

I watched as Mum and dad got on the plane. and I sobbed, my lips were puckering. I missed them already. The tears were coming hard and fast now. I so wanted to run after them, but I had made my decision, and that was to stay here.

I felt hands on my shoulders. I turned around and it was Leighton. I moved into his arms, and he held me tight as I cried.

I felt an overwhelming sense of love for Leighton. I always have, right from the beginning. It's only now since everything that's happened, and how he's always been a steady rock for me, that I'm beginning to realise just how much.

I don't know whether it's because I'm so emotional now, or it's how I've always felt, but I needed him.

I needed him in a way I couldn't quite describe, like something was burning inside me like a fire. His touch, his warmth, his smell was making me need him more than I ever have thought. Maybe it's because Mum and dad weren't around to keep a close eye on me.

I think he sensed it too, because he pushed me back to look at him. "Gracie you could have gone. I've waited my whole life to find you. A year wouldn't change how I feel."

I smiled and shook my head. "No I chose to stay here. It's ok."

He nodded in response, "Ok, if you're sure."

"I am," I whispered. He kissed me.

"We can go to see them anytime you want, thanks to the Bank of Mum." He laughed. "Right, the others are waiting we should get back." We walked out to Joshua's car.

I looked up at the sky and saw a plane. It was so small. Under my breath I spoke to the plane, feeling kinda stupid. Bye, Mum. Bye, Dad. I love you both so much. It won't be long and I'll be fine. Hurry home so we can be a family again. I laid my head down on Leighton's lap and quietly sobbed.

Back at Jo's I walked into the smell of nachos. It was nice, sorta like comfort food, I scoffed them down quickly. "Babe you wanna go watch Netflix?" I looked at Jo and smiled.

I followed Jo upstairs, leaving the boy's chatting about cars.

Upstairs I laid on Jo's bed and asked one of the most personal question's ever. Trying  not to go bright red.

"Jo what's it like to have sex?" The drink Jo was sipping on spewed all in my face. She laughed, then I laughed, but then she looked serious again.

"Why you asking me, hon? I don't know. I've not had sex. Besides Pierre and I haven't even gone passed kissing. The only people I know in this house who've had sex are Mum and dad. And, of course, Reagan, Hayden and Taylor."

She looked at me weird. I smiled I didn't say anything else. I'll ask Taylor when I get a chance.

Leighton knocked on the door, without Jo answering he just came in and snuggled up behind me, holding me close, spooning me. Well, it's what magazines call it. What I dont get is what's sexy about eating hair, but he seemed to enjoy it.

"Sorry baby I was getting lonely without you." I wrapped his hand around my waist, he was running his fingers through my hair and it felt good. I blushed slightly and then it stopped and it was replaced with a low snore. This was the first time we had laid this close, and this long. I was getting quite warm and didn't know what to do.

"I'm going down for a drink." Jo nodded and I peeled myself away from Leighton's now sleeping form and crept downstairs.

I was kind of pleased to get away. I walked into the kitchen and Evie was sitting at the table with her sewing machine, she looked up as I walked in the room.

"Sweetheart. Are you ok? What's wrong? Your pulse rate's going mad."

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just missing my Mum and Dad." But it wasn't anything to do with them. It had to do with Leighton and me. Something was changing,

It hit me like a wrecking ball. I was changing.

"Come sit. I'll make you some hot chocolate."

I smiled and sat down while she made the drink. The first sip was hot, but it was comforting. I sat contemplating things in my head.

"Please don't think I'm being intrusive when I say this, but your hormones are all over the place. You're becoming a woman, Gracie. Have your parents spoke to you about sex?"
I wish now I had a hole to jump in. I wanted to hide, I was so embarrassed.

I looked up at Evie. "No, they never spoke of things like this. I don't think they ever thought I would get to that stage. But I feel like I'm going crazy. I've never had these feelings, but I do when I'm with Leighton."

She smiled at me. "I think maybe it's why we need to chat. I'm your Mum now, for a year."

She really was great about it all. We spoke for hours, and I got very embarrassed.

I couldn't help thinking though, that these were things I should be discussing with my Mum. Weren't these like milestones in a child's life? The problem was she wasn't here, so Evie was all I had now.

She decided it would be best if she took me to see her doctor so I could get some sort of protection. I was nervous to say the least.

The door opened and Jo's dad walked in. He smiled and walked over and kissed the top of my head. "Hey, pumpkin. What you doing up? You ok?" He had just got in from work. I looked at my watch damn it was 1:43 in the morning. The time had gone so fast.

"I'm fine. I just couldn't sleep." He ruffled my hair and went to the fridge and started making himself a sandwich. I thanked Evie and went to bed.

Leighton was sprawled out on Jo's bed, and Jo had made a bed on the floor. I got in and snuggled into Leighton he smelled so good, and he felt so warm. I knew I wanted him, but did he want me in the same way?