Chapter twenty six

I opened my eyes to see it was still daylight. I must have dozed off. We had finally arrived at the airport, but I had no idea, I had slept the whole way. All I knew is we had been flying seven hours and forty-five minutes to be precise.

It seems like I always sleep when I'm bored. I stretched my legs and waited for the door to open. The first thing that hit me when I stepped out of the plane was that the heat, it was stifling.
I was never one for heat and then the smog went down my throat and into my airways and almost choked me. I followed the pilot through another side door and into the very busy airport, then he turned round.

"Well it was lovely to meet you Miss Carteri. Here's my number. Call me when you're ready to fly home." I nodded then he handed me a bag.

"What's this?"He smiled.

"Mr Cross asked me to give you this when you landed."

I grinned wide. "Thank you."

I walked through the airport with my case and bags feeling overwhelmed by the smell of blood. I headed to the toilet and found the nearest cubicle and sat down taking in deep breaths.

Come on Gracie you can do this, so what it's just blood, you don't want it you, don't need it. Who was I trying to kid? I wanted it. I was a vampire for god sake.

"Shush! Hush your filthy mouth! No you don't need it, you don't want to hurt anyone do you? Did you ever see Leighton or Jo, hurt a person to get blood?"

"Oh for god sake not you again, I thought you had left me alone."

She laughed. "Oh Gracie, I can't just leave you. We are one you and I. Now cool it or you're gonna get us killed."

"Oh go away." Yet, again, she was right. The others led such normal, humane lives. I, for one, had never seen them drink blood.

Mmm, blood. The scent was getting stronger, it was burning my nostrils. I looked down at the bag and opened it. Wow, blood bags! Thank you Leighton, I thought too myself.

I took one out and popped the cap, it went down so smoothly and with every sip I felt more calm and relaxed. I can manage this! I can be just like the others. I don't need to be a monster. I won't be a monster.

I put the cap back on and put it back in the bag. Just then I noticed a book and a letter. No, I can't do this now. I'll read it when I'm alone. I got up and unlocked the door and walked out of the toilet.

A girl walked straight into me. "I'm so sorry," she said.

I smiled at her. "It's okay it happens."

She smelled so sweet. I could see the pulse in her neck pumping. Oh, sweet Jesus, I need to get out of here.

I pushed past her and into the crowd. As the people starting thinning out I saw my Dad.

I was running towards him now. His arms were wide open and I jumped into them. He smelled so good too. But you know what he smelled the most of? my Dad.

"Oh, Daddy, I've missed you so much."
He held me so tight. "I've missed you too, princess."

I looked around looking for Mum. "Mum's not with you?"

He shook his head. "No sweetheart she's at home."

Ok, Mum was waiting for me at home. I nodded. "Let's go home."

The drive to Mum and Dads new home was very colorful, to say the least. New york really was a beautiful place, just very busy! I thought Oxford was busy at the weekend, but New York beat it hands down.