TWENTY ONE

Remus wakes slowly, the feel of warm hands and an even warmer brush of lips against his stomach causing him to stumble out of his dreamless sleep. That and the little thunderous kicks from inside of his belly.

"It just begs the question, doesn't it, little one?" Sirius' voice was soft, quiet. Remus holds his breath, trying to remain as still as he can will himself too, urging his body not to make any sudden movements and begging his breathing to remain subtle, at ease. The ongoing conversation between Sirius and the wriggling baby inside of him intrigues Remus greatly. "Will daddy give up in a little bit? Maybe it'd be best to let mummy be, yeah? Doesn't feel right when we're apart but if it feels right for mummy, then that's what's best, isn't it?"

Remus frowns slightly, trying not to move, as Sirius continues. He feels Sirius press a soft kiss to his belly. That's new, he figures, endeared.

"Do you think daddy should let mummy be? Give up? Or should mummy and daddy just have it out? What's the harm, eh? S'what I always think, anyways. We're already pretty fucked-" Sirius pauses. "I meant we're already pretty messed up as it is," He corrects himself and it makes Remus smile softly to himself. "What's the worst thing that can happen to us that hasn't already happened to us?"

Remus could think of many things that could happen to them that haven't happened just yet. In fact, he could think of a list, and a rather lengthy list, at that. The worst, however the one that topped all entries on his fictional list, was marriage. A lifeless, soul sucking bonding between two individuals with as messy a history as theirs. It would slowly kill them both. They'd resent one another, Remus is sure of it.

But then again, doesn't Elliot deserve them trying? Doesn't their little baby girl need them to try? For her?

Elliot Dorothy Black deserves a loving family within a loving environment. And Remus is gonna ensure she gets everything she deserves.

"You're right," It isn't Remus that speaks.

Sirius looks up from his resting station at Remus' abdomen. "Prongs, didn't realize you were still here, mate, warn a guy before you sneak up like that, idiot"

Remus can hear James laugh softly. "Hey, at least I haven't been peppering little kisses all along my best mates tummy all morning," James softens. "Kind of adorable, by the way, being a dad suits ya," Remus can hear the grin in James' raspy voice. "How's she doing in there? Cooking well, I assume?"

Sirius chuckles as he strokes Remus' belly with his gentle touch. "She's doing really good. Not long now, eh?"

"Absolutely, mate," James' smile is evident in his tone. "He's doing really good though, Moony, isn't he? Kinda amazing," James adds. "I know I laughed at the little daddy daughter talk but I think if Lils were like this, I'd be the exact same, y'know. Melt like that for her and a baby, just the things you do for the people you love, isn't it," He muses. "And you, my friend, are beyond melted," James smirks. "S'you're right, what's the wrong that can come of you and Remus having it out?"

Sirius sighs. "A lot, I guess, but also not a lot," He says slowly as if he's weighing out all of the roads that may be taken. "I mean, I love him, I really do. I think I've loved Remus a lot more than platonically for a really long time, maybe without knowing it,"

"To be fair, Pete and I already had that one figured out, mate," Sirius must've furrowed his eyebrows because James continues quickly. "You just slipped into this whole many thing a bit too quickly. Most people would freak out and run for the hills, especially given what had happened before, but you were very prepared to be here. Just shows that it isn't just a baby between you and Moony, Padfoot,"