23."Chess 2.0"

It'd been a week since Seokjin was dismissed of the case. A week since he had no idea what to do with his life, anymore. Now, In an ideal situation, the boy should've been happy about the whole scenario. Him not having to worry about Taehyung, him finally having a chance to move on with his life, him finally being free. But something, something kept bringing the thoughts of the boy back to his mind. Maybe it was the hidden feelings for Taehyung that never faded, that brought the concern back. Or perhaps it were the constant fear of having lost the war against Taehyung's demons. Sometimes, it was just Namjoon. The devil himself. Because Seokjin wasn't an irresponsible, ignorant cop who just cared about his daily dose of donuts, he was much more devoted to law enforcement than one could imagine. It was his passion and a way to his peace of mind, considering the events in his past. And he knew perfectly that Taehyung would never stop until he gets what he wants. He would never stop and never back away because he truly had nothing to lose and life was never significant.

"Hyung with all due respect, Jackson is a dumbass." Jungkook huffed, taking a seat in Seokjin's study as the other boy scribbled something down in his notebook.
"Okay I wasn't listening but I strongly agree." Jimin nodded, balancing his pencil between his fingers.
Seokjin chuckled. "What do you guys have against the man, anyway?"
Jungkook lied down, putting his head in Jimin's lap, the other boy's eyes turning into crescents immediately.
"He doesn't know shit and doesn't do shit. It's almost like he's Kim's accomplice." Jungkook explained, playing with Jimin's hair.
"True. Hyung, Jungkook's an intern yet he knows more than Wang." Jimin clicked his tongue, unconsciously stroking the side of Jungkook's head.
"Isn't it obvious?" Seokjin finally spoke up, looking out of the window at the bustling streets of Manhattan. The setting sun painting everything in a radiant orange as Seokjin stood amongst it, looking not less than art coming to life himself.
Both the boys turned their attention to the man, eyes sharp, ears attentive.
"Namjoon got me off the case for a reason." He walked around the room, in the manner of an orator and two pair of eyes followed.
"He's going to get them out." He completed, looking at a distance. A slight smile tugging the end of his lips, the face of someone who had already figured out the opponent's moves but had to play their part, for the sake of the game.
Jungkook straightened at that, eyes wide while hesitation was prominent on Jimin's face as well. The only difference between the boys' expressions being their experiences at hiding emotions.
"Hyung, we gotta tell the chief!" Jungkook exclaimed, utterly confused and to an extent, alarmed.
Seokjin shook his head.
"He'll get them out of there no matter what we do, anyway."
"Besides..." Jimin continued Seokjin's statement, finally understanding the whole scenario, "what will we tell them? They don't know Seokjin knows Taehyung personally, remember Gguk?"
"So, now what? We just sit here hand on hand?" Jungkook's eyes turned from Jimin to Seokjin and then back to Jimin, demanding an answer.
"Chess, Jungkook-ah." Seokjin put a hand on the boy's shoulder who just looked up at the elder, troubled.
"We wait for his next move." Jimin looked at Seokjin too, exchanging a look. A look that was far beyond Jungkook's ability to decipher.

Jimin's phone rung.

A/N: I feel like I'm just dragging this tbh :)
But anyway, enjoyyy!