Chapter 64

The adults caught your lie about not being cold quite easy, and threw a Navy coat over you. You mumbled a silent "Thank you." Before putting your arms in the sleeves. You looked down, at the white fabric and laughed. "Ah. This brings back memories."

"Why, mama?" Your little one asked, gesturing with her arms to be lifted up. You happily complied, while you rested her weight on your hip. "A long, long time ago I was part of the Navy." You said to her. "You were with the stupid guys?" She asked innocently. You froze for a second before booping her nose. "You should be nicer to them, Mirai. They just played with you!"

"But mama, you're always cursing and laughing about them!" You turned red, as everyone send a glare towards you. The child was way too honest for your wellbeing. "I don't remember that..." You said. "Mama! Yesterday you said: "I don't get paid much enough to babysit all those idiots!" She mimicked you, with wild hand gestures. "I was not only talking about them." You replied and let out a big sigh. "If you will be silent now, I will let Iceboy pay a popsicle for you."

Your parenting skills were met with some eyebrows raised in curiosity, some angry glares and, of course, blank faces. "So, now you're letting me pay for your spouse?" Kuzan asked. "Yes. For all I know you could be her father."

His eyes narrowed. "I don't recall..." "Me neither." You interrupted. "The fact is: I am her mother, but I never said I went through the nine months of torture called a pregnancy." You smiled at him. "So, when do we get our popsicles?"

"Our?" He replied. "For all I know, you could be my father too." You instantly said, before prodding him with your foot. Dangerous, I know. "COULD YOU STOP MAKING ME PAY FOR ALL YOUR EXPENSES?!?" He yelled at you with sharp teeth. "Nah. The salary of an Admiral is not specifically modest." You said, while you sat down next to him. He mumbled something under his breath, that made you break out in laughter. "This dude is just as broke as me!"

Before Iceboy could possibly strike, you moved away from him, and sat closer to a bandaged Smoker. "Smoker, I wanted to ask you something, by the way." You said, while you placed your daughter better in your lap. "How is Erin-kun?" He looked at you in disbelief. You grunted. "Vice-Admiral Shirohebe? The one that was sent to capture me?" "He just woke up from a coma, I heard. But why do you care about him?" You ignored his question, happy that Erin was okay. You had him injured pretty bad, after all.

You stared at the Vice Admiral intensively. He had been your crush for quite some time when you were part of the navy. You were so besotted with him, that it put, unconsciously, a restraint on your relationship with Hina. You were torn apart by your emotions, and decided to make a run for it. "I left Marineford because of you." You suddenly outed your thoughts. "I broke Hina's heart. I know that very well. But I couldn't stay. The friendship between you two..." You sighed. "I didn't want to destroy your friendship." The words kept streaming from your mouth. "I knew I wouldn't settle. I can't, because I am a criminal. And the moment people would have discovered my identity...I would have destroyed everything."

You stood up, a rare, sad smile on your face. "Anyways, I am glad I met you two." You said, with your eyes on your daughter, who indeed got her popsicle. You gently brushed a strand of hair under her bonnet, before looking at the Vice-Admiral. His eyes showed confusion. You chuckled at the sight before walking way, towards the east, where a certain motorcycle was placed.

"Hey! Where are you going?" He yelled after you; "Why do you let this sound like a goodbye!?! Why aren't you giving me any laundry?" He tried to get up. "I promised Hina that you wouldn't die!" You kept on walking. "I promised myself I wouldn't let you die!" He said, before he started to cough. You stopped for a second. "Don't worry, Smoker. I am too irritating to die." You said, your back still turned to him, the word Justice burning on your back. You chuckled. "Greet the others at HQ for me, will-ya?"