Chapter 37

You were happy to be in Water 7 again. You jumped enthusiastically on the dock, the moment your ship reached land. And to your surprise, Paulie was waiting for you. A big smile spread over your face, as you ran towards him and hugged him. His arms wrapped around your shoulder as you held him tightly by you. "I've missed you." You said, your voice a bit broken. Paulie didn't say anything, but you felt his warmth comforting you. And that was enough for you.

You let go of him and turned back to Avis and Erin. "Let me introduce you, my childhood friend Paulie. He works as shipwright for the Galley-La company." You said with a proud face. You turned back to Paulie. "Paulie, these people are Avis and Erin, and they..." "(Y/N)! What did I say about covering your body?!?" Paulie shouted, noticing your bare legs. "Put some clothes on!" You rolled your eyes. Of course he has to make a comment. "It's like 40 degrees outside! You have to bribe me with a huge amount of donuts before I cover up..." You murmured, loudly enough to be heard. Before you two had a real fight, Avis jumped down, right between you. "Paulie-kun, it's a bit hot now to cover completely up, but I agree that she should wear something else. We partly came here for shopping?" "We did?" You heard Erin ask. You had to agree with him on that. "Aunt-sensei, I appreciate your meddling, but I don't understand why I should change. There's nothing wrong with these clothes." You looked down at your Winnie the Pooh t-shirt, black shorts and unmatching sock in boots. Not to forget the Kuma hat you were wearing. You looked back up at your teacher, and met her famous Have-you-looked-in-the-mirror-?-gaze. You sighed in defeat. "We will go shopping then."

Avis had to drag you from shop to shop basically. You had to agree that you needed more clothing, as the Navy had practically taken away about everything from you, but the things you had in mind as necessary, weren't the same in Avis' mind. While you desperately looked around for cargo-pants and water steady clothes, dresses and cute things caught her attention. You had just found a pile of tank tops and shorts, when Erin's aunt dragged you to the other side of the store, by the dresses. Great.

A wide variety of dresses was displayed, and definitely the crème de la crème in the fashion district. No wonder the employees gave you dirty looks as you had more interest in mere tanktops than the high fashion. You felt extremely uncomfortable as Avis picked dresses for you, and piled them up in your arms. Some kimono's, some Lolita style, some elegant drapes and some funny summer dresses.

Avis shoved you into the changing rooms, the moment you couldn't see yourself in the mirror anymore. You threw the clothes on a chair, as you sighed loudly, stripping down to your underwear; It would be a loooong afternoon.

You arms grew tired as you changed into dress number 17. It was a monstrous thing, with many ruffles and puffed sleeves in pink and white. You slipped immediately out of it, and changed into the next. You had your back turned on the mirror, as you put on the next dress, reaching until your ankles. As you turned around, facing the mirror, Avis stormed in. "(Y/N)...You look so beautiful!" She said, tears in her eyes. You looked back at your reflection, pink dusting your cheeks. A black, slightly heart shaped lowcut covered your chest, flowing effortlessly over in thick straps around your arms. The dress turned to night blue, then azure, and finally white around a high-waisted middle, before falling down in folds, gradually turning back dark. The dress was beautiful, surely, but "...It doesn't feel like me." You said out loud. Avis grabbed your hands, with tears in her eyes. "(Y/N), you are you, whatever you wear. Your style doesn't decide who you truly are: a beautiful, strong young woman, who deserves more than the world!" She pleaded. Taken aback by her her outburst, you felt tears coming up yourself. But you still weren't sure. "Thanks, Avis. But I can't be something I am not." And although you loved the dress, it wasn't meant for you.

You left the store, holding three bags. Two were filled with tank tops, t-shirts, pants and dress shirts, another one with a white, simple dress, that reminded you of the dress you wore when you kissed Hina for the first time. Avis had told her to go ahead, so she could drop her bags off, and catch up with Paulie before the show. Yup. Apparently they didn't joke as Erin said that they needed a third person for their acts. Tonight was the first show in the season, and it happened to be in Water 7. You were booked for two nights, and a bit of stress build up inside of you.