Prologue: Departure

"Why can't I join!?" Ayane yells.
"Because I said so! So the answer will forever be no!" Levi shouts back.
"Dad this isn't fair! I've been sitting on the sidelines watching time and time again as my family dies one by one!! How could you think to stop me from doing something about it now!?" Ayane tells her father.
"Because they are soldiers and your my daughter!" Levi replies.

Levi and Ayane had both been having the same argument for weeks now, Ayane was tired of watching those she loved and valued as family die without her having a chance to do anything about it.

"You've taught me how to fight, how to use the ODM gear, Aunt Hange has taught me many things about titans and to top it all off Uncle Erwin has taught me many things on being a solider if I ever were to become one....so please explain to me with a truly valid reason why I can't join," Ayane explains.

Ayane knew that her father was afraid to lose her to titans, so was she but he always had to go off on expeditions while she was back at base worrying about her father each time...he might be skilled and the 'strongest soldier' as people call him but it still didn't mean there wasn't a chance he'd die out there.

Everyone in the Survey Corps was at risk of dying.

"Levi she has a point, we've taught her everything we've known and then some. We can't force her to change her mind you and I both know once she has her mind set on something she does it." Erwin says.
"Tch, fine. But I want you to send letters to me constantly." Levi finally agrees.
"I will father, as much as they will allow me to." Ayane nods her head.
"Go on...get your things ready. I'll bring you over there tomorrow." Levi sighs.
"Thank you father, I promise I won't let you down," Ayane tells him.
"I know you won't," Levi whispers as he watched her walk out of his office.
"She's like you, Levi! Though a more cute version!" Hange giggled.

Levi rolled his eyes, ever since the day he found her in that small but destroyed village in a home at near full collapse everyone including him was attached to Ayane, which is one of the reasons why he adopted her.

Sure in the past raising her was difficult as he did so as a single father but honestly, he found her few years after he had lost Farlan and Isabelle. When he first held her and brought her out of the house that nearly collapsed on both of them he had her wrapped up in his Survey Corps cloak and when she laid eyes on him she smiled.

Apparently, that's all it took for him to feel an instant connection and from then on he had decided to adopt her, the more time he spent with Ayane the more he realized she seemed to have saved him...and he saved her as well.

Ayane already knew she was adopted, she had been told at a young age whenever there were times when Ayane was bullied for not having a mother or when she heard adults comment how she didn't look like Levi. But either way, Ayane didn't care, Levi is her father and no one could tell her otherwise.

Packing up the stuff she'd need for when she was to arrive at the training camp she knew she'd be there for a while, though she did hope that whoever would be the instructor wouldn't know she was the daughter of a Survey Corp member and suddenly give her special treatment.

She wanted to be able to become a soldier by her own skills and determination, not easily get in just cause her father is the Corporal of the Survey Corps.

That was her only worry.

                                                                           **Next Day**

As Ayane was saying her goodbyes to the people she viewed and loved as family Levi was busy getting their horses ready for the travel, he himself had the ODM gear on just in case they were to run into any titans while he escorted his daughter to where cadets were to train.

"You've grown into such a wonderful young lady. I can't believe we won't be seeing you for a while." Petra frowns.
"I'll be fine, Aunt Petra. I've learned so much not just from you all but from my father as well." Ayane replied.
"Make sure no one bullies you!" Gunther tells her.
"Ha! As if they can! Ayane will just beat them up for it!" Oluo scoffs.
"Ignore them, I know you can handle yourself. Though at least try to make friends okay?" Eld tells her.
"I don't understand why I'd need friends. I have my family here...shouldn't this be enough?" Ayane asked confused.

Eld sighed but shrugged his shoulders, every one of them knew it was hard for Ayane to open up to people who weren't what she viewed as family. So clearly telling her to do something hard and confusing for her wouldn't go anywhere.

They just hoped at least someone or anyone in that training corps would approach her and offer her to be friends with them...she's seen too much in her life to the point where she's used to death.

"Ayane it's time, let's get going," Levi calls out to his daughter.
"Alright! Well bye, guys! See you when I come back!" Ayane says as she gets on her horse.

As the duo took off, Ayane's family within the Survey Corps watched and yelled some 'goodbyes' and 'see you later' as well as the faint moment Oluo bitting his tongue again like usual.

When the group was no longer able to be seen by her eyes she turned around and focused on ahead of her, Ayane knew her father was completely against her joining anything that had to do with the army but...this was what she truly wanted.

She wanted to make a change for humanity, and one of her dreams as a kid was to fight side by side with her father killing the titans that threatened them day by day. Not to mention since she was taught so much she wanted to use the skills she had now and put them to good use instead of letting it die out and have all those efforts to teach her to go down the drain for nothing.

'I promise everyone, when I get back we'll fight side by side together as a family unit. No one will take that away from us. No one. I'll come back better than ever, and then I can finally help you all out after all these years.' Ayane thought.