Chapter 50: Perfect Game

Those who seemed to have survived the explosion of Bertholt's titan transformation watched as he began to destroy the homes around him and effectively set them on fire. Connie for whatever reason made a joke at the fact that it was a possibility that one of those buildings could be Eren's place...not sure why he thought that was the time or even the place to but Sasha quickly stopped him by hitting his head.

Armin was afraid of screwing up again since to him it was his fault that talking to Bertholt the first time wasn't the right answer.

"It's my fault...some of Ayane's family are dead now. She'll...She'll never forgive me for this." Armin told.
"Ayane isn't like that! She'd never blame you for this!" Sasha shouted.
"She's right, jeez with how long we've known her you'd like he'd know Ayane by now," Jean says.
"She'll be upset yes but she won't blame you," Mikasa says.
"Even so...Jean please take over," Armin tells him.

For now Jean took control of command for the time being, but it would still fall to Armin to make up a plan for their next plan of attack. However for now they were to be on the hiding side so keeping out of Bertholt's sight was a high priority for now.

                                                                **With Ayane**

Ayane stood on a roof of a building as she looked up at the walls behind her, something struck a chord in her as she felt like something horrible happened back there even with the explosion. Her hands trembled slightly but were unnoticed, the bangs of her hair that framed her face hid her eyes thankfully as the sight would've been horrible to see...her eyes were shaking in both worry and horror as she tried to pull herself together.

'No..trust in them they'll survive...all of them will.' Ayane thought.

Even though that was a foolish thing to tell herself she still forced her brain and heart to believe it even if she seemed to have already known more of her family were gone already. After taking a deep breath and letting it out she moved her gaze to watch her squad...most of them were frozen with fear or just crouching down crying.

'It was foolish to bring in fresh recruits to something as this...but even so, we needed soldiers in order to even the odds.' Ayane thought.

"AYANE!! GET DOWN!!" Levi suddenly shouted.

Just as she turned around to the sound of her father shouting Ayane felt his body slamming onto hers as he used his own body to cover his daughter from the onslaught of rocks that were thrown, Levi covered his daughters head with his arms as he kept his own head down as well. Ayane just laid there in shock.

What...? What the fuck!?

The Beast Titan was throwing rocks to slaughter the Scouts that were on this side of the walls! However, both Erwin and Ayane saw the bastard going for another shot. Erwin gave his orders to his troops for cover and Ayane quickly followed with them as well to her squad who seemed to have acted quick.

Just as more rocks were thrown Levi grabbed his daughter and got them to safety behind the buildings as well. When they got down just in time Levi didn't care how old Ayane was now or what position she was in with the military he held Ayane close to him as he glared above.

For a split moment, Levi nearly thought he'd lose his daughter to this slaughter of attack, even though he was the strongest soldier the Scouts had he was always gonna be Ayane's father first and his fatherly instincts kicked in as he needed to protect his child.

'Father...he hasn't held me like this in a while. Damnit Ayane! You need to keep your damn guard up! You can't die on him much less in front of him! Smarten up, idiot!' Ayane thought scolding herself.