Sleep is for the Weak (7)

"These are the days that must happen to you"-Walt Whitman       ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

-Walt Whitman
~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

It was four thirteen am, Lyra's slippered feet padding down the hall as she clutched a piece of parchment and a pen in her hand. She always kept a pen on her, much easier to use in a pinch than a quill.

She began to climb the cold stone steps to the owlery. She immediately walked over to the window sill where she began to write. She wrote a letter to Nymohadora explaining everything that had gone on and what she had seen, how she had felt.

She wrote about her dream. She had seen the announcement of the Goblet of Fire. She explained how she had seen Harry's name come out of it. How she had seen the depths of the Black Lake and the Dark mark over a graveyard.

She then signed the letter quickly and stuffed it into an envelope. She frantically searched around for her and her brother's shared eagle owl. Delphinus sat on a low perch, his eyes following Lyra in hopes that she would bring him something to deliver.

"Hi Delphi," Lyra cooed softly, stoking the owl's feathery head, "I have something for Dora. Take it to her for me will you?" Delphinus gave her finger a loving nip and stuck out his leg for Lyra to attach the letter.

The large owl swooped out the window without wasting any time, flapping his large wings. Lyra watched as he flew off into the night, then walked over to Hedwig, she had been awoken by the sound of Lyra's voice. Usually, Lyra and Harry went to send letters together, so Lyra assumed Hedwig thought Harry was there as well. "He's not here right now sweetie," she said to the snowy bird, "I expect he'll come soon with a letter to Sirius." Lyra patted Hedwig on the head and hurried back down the stairs, desperate to escape the cold.

As she reentered the corridor through the archway from the stairs, she hit straight into someone. "Shit!" She cursed rubbing her head and looking up. Before her, she saw a pale, platinum blonde-haired boy. "Dra," She said hugging him, "Sorry for running into you."

"Yeah Ra, watch where you're goin- Hey... Wait, why are you here right now?!" You should be in bed, asleep." He said in his protective older brother tone.

"I had a- uhm- nightmare... I- erm- went to write to- uh- Dora."

Draco raised his eyebrow, he didn't believe that she'd just had a nightmare. Since they were little they could always tell when the other was lying or withholding something. It was a product of the countless hours they spent adventuring around the Malfoy Manor. Lyra sighed and led him to the steps.

In between the corridor and the owlery they sat, Lyra two steps above him. Draco watched her carefully as she recounted the past week's strange events. When she was done she sighed and rested her head on her knees.

Draco just sat silently, taking in the information he was just given.

"Well," Draco started slowly, "I don't think we should jump to conclusions...." He continued, "Let's think about this logically, Potter couldn't enter the tournament, he's not of age," Draco said, recounting what they had been told on the day of their arrival, "How could you remember these things that haven't happened? Lyra, let's hope these are just nightmares, if they prove to be anything more, we'll find someone to help.... alright?" Draco put a hand on her shoulder.

Draco, always the logical one of the two.

Lyra was the type to jump to a conclusion that was miles away from possibility. To immediately assume there would be a certain outcome before even thinking about the factors.

That was what Draco was for, the logic, the stability, Lyra was the spontaneity, she was a thunderstorm of emotions. Her mind always full to the brim, with no room for the consideration of her actions.

Lyra sighed heavily, she had missed her twin. "Alright." She smiled, moving down the steps to hug him. Then with sudden realization said, "I never asked you... what are you doing up? Delphinus is out with my letter so if you needed to send one..."

"No," Draco replied, "I come here sometimes, to clear my head, either here of the astronomy tower." He said quietly, Lyra nudged him.

"What's on your mind brother?" She met his gaze, his eyes swimming with green light. It was like she could see it in his eyes, the dark mark, he was so scared that night. Seeing that mark, knowing what his father was. She could feel it coming off of him, looking into his eyes she could almost see his thoughts, his memories, his future.

"That night," He cleared his throat, "The Quidditch World Cup... Ra, I was so afraid...."

"Draco, I would have stayed with you if you need-"

"No," Draco cut her off, "I- you can't come home this summer. I don't know why, but Mum wanted to- to tell you. She said she couldn't write because Fathers been checking her mail." He sighed, "I don't know what's going on, but it's not good Lyra." He sucked in another deep breath, "Please be careful." At that, they both got up and hugged each other, then parted ways back to their common rooms.

===

It was now almost 5:30 in the morning and Lyra was wandering the halls, her wand lit at the tip, was held out in front of herself. She skipped down the halls, hiding in classrooms and behind statues whenever she heard the sounds of Flitch, the caretaker, the sound of his shuffling feet growing closer and closer. The fear of detention or getting caught causes slight adrenaline to run through Lyra's body. Her game was to make a lot of noise on every floor until she made it to the staircase that leads to the common room. She had been successful on each floor so far, even stopping to set a prank in the charms wing. That was going to be fun to watch in the morning.

When she finally made it back to the common room she plopped down on the couch in from of the smoldering fire, she let herself drift off into a peaceful sleep, not caring whether she woke up for class or not.

===

It was as if she had just laid her head down when she heard a familiar voice calling her name. she groaned as she felt a hand on her shoulder, slightly nudging her awake.

"I was sleeping you twat." Lyra yawned, looking up to see Harry looking down at her, his glasses sliding down his nose as he did.

"Hermione ran in freaking out, she thought you'd gone missing." Harry said sitting down next to Lyra, she was now stretching.

"Did she? Huh, it's almost as if she's always freaking out about- *yawn*- something...." Lyra chuckled, "Just took a walk early this morning is all. Oh yeah- *yawn*- that reminds me, don't be the first one into Flitwick's classroom this morning...." She had remembered the trap she had set the night before, Harry just sat next to her with a dazed sort of confused look on his face. "Hey. Potter?! Hellooo!" Lyra snapped her fingers in his face.

"Oh- Erm- yes?"

"What time is it dim wit?" Lyra asked, an amused smile on her lips.

"Quarter past seven," Harry responded, "I'll wait for you here." He said to her softly, gesturing towards the steps to the dorm rooms. Lyra nodded and smiled at her best friend softly. She then trotted sleepily up the stairs to get ready for class.

*****

I'm tired 😓😴

Goodnight luvs

-Mrsnorrisstan

(word count: 1265)