Head Mistress (41)

What is love without loyalty?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The patronus charm." Harry announced to the room full of DA members.

A chorus of, "No way!" and "Cool!" echoed throughout the room.

It was a Wednesday evening, Lyra and Harry had decided it was time to teach the Patronus Charm.

Harry demonstrated first, a silvery buck shooting from the end of his wand, and galloping across the room.

Lyra went next.

"Expecto Patronum!" she said, bringing her happiest memories to the forefront of her mind.

She thought about singing muggle songs with Hermione, baking cookies with Dora, and she thought of when she and Harry had kissed, just days before.

She let out a small gasp when her patronus appeared from her wand.

It had always been a swan, but now it was different.

It took her a moment to realize that it was a deer.

A doe.

She galloped across the room, taking the same path Harry's had.

Lyra stood there, watching. Her expression half shocked and half curious.

The group clapped and began to try on their own.

"I thought your Patronus was a swan?" Harry asked, smirking slightly, putting an arm around her shoulder.

"It was.... I didn't know they could change."

"They can," Hermione jumped in, "In the case of a life altering event, your mind sees the path you are going down."

"Oh." Lyra said softly, trying to suppress a small smile.

"So what does that mean?" Harry said quietly, leaning closer to Lyra.

"We'll talk about it later." She smiled, kissing him on the cheek and going over to help the Creavy brothers.

"You're not picking a memory that's happy enough," Lyra explained, "It needs to be something really meaningful."

"What do you think of?" Dennis Creavy, the younger one, asked.

Lyra blushed slightly.

Before she could think of an answer, the door burst open.

It was Draco, he looked frantic.

He ran over to Lyra, as Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny all joined them.

"She knows." Draco breathed heavily, "Just overheard, Crabbe and Goyle talking about it. She's got a bunch of them coming with her to round you all up."