Chapter 2- Bella's Birthday

Alice really had put a lot of effort in to Bella's birthday celebrations. The cake, if I could taste human food, I am assured tastes delicious(Alice having read 4,000 reviews was sure of that) and the room smelt almost as Devine as her.
There were flowers and decorations on every surface, I've always thought my wife should start an event planning business, she really has a talent. Although grudging I accept, and although I would never tell Alice I agree with him, Edwards point of view that it's too much considering the guest list is under 10. That and only one can eat the cake, however I'm happy to let Alice do as she please to keep her content and distract her from her own problems.
Everyone is excited and in a celebratory mood except Bella. Edward has never explained it to us, and I'm not sure that he or Bella knows, the reason why she hates surprises and being showered with attention or gifts. I can say this much she is truly unique, but from my point of view difficult.
I can sense her stress and soon as she enters our home, so I work my talent and send waves of calm across the room making sure to hit both Alice and Bella with it.
Alice starts handing out gifts and despite her politeness I can tell Bella is hating the experience since I can feel her emotions. She proves my point after thanking Emmett for any empty box, I try to contain a small laugh for Edwards sake but everyone is infected by my mood and collectively we chuckle, as Edward explains its a-music system for her horrid truck, already installed and ready for use.
We come at last to the final present, and I can feel that finally I'm relaxing Bella using my talent. But I can tell it hasn't really helped my wife, in fact she seems offended I had to resort to my talent over a few gifts and some cake.
If only Bella could be like normal girls her age, then again if she was normal she might have exposed us by now for what we truly are.
She struggles and flaps with a plain envelope from Esme and Carlisle, Edward tuts and reaches for the envelope to help her, whilst Emmett giggles and Alice shows concern about how Bella survived before Edward. She pouts but offers Edward the envelope, and then the world shifts, and everything changes.
My primal instinctive urges kick in before I can stop myself and I see both Edward and Alice look horrified. Without realising it I'm running towards the poor girl and growling, then it hits me, her scent is truly delicious, all she manages to say is "paper cut" not realising she is in danger.
I try to calm down for Alice, but Edwards slams into me, bringing out my predatory sense to protect myself and another growl escapes my mouth without me realising.
I know I'm scaring her but I can't help run at her again, this time Edward pushes Bella back so I can't reach and Emmett has now gripped me in a tight bear hug.
Her smell is stronger despite the increased distance and as I look up I can see why.
Bella being pushed into the piano and slicing her arm open on either some plates or the knife to cut the cake means her blood is exposed and smells exquisite.
I look at Alice and I loose all fight and aggressiveness, I notice Emmett is still trying to restrain me, and I want him to win seeing the hurt and disappointment in her eyes.
Emmett pushes me out of the living room and out the back door.
As soon as I can smell the fresh air my emotions start destroying me. I'm disgusted with my behaviour and disappointed in my lack of control.
I leap over in to the forest and run away from the faces of my family, all looking at me in disgust except my mother Esme she just looked upset which is worse.
I run faster and faster knowing the only one left in my family who can catch up with me is Edward, and I doubt he wants to, well he may want to rip my head off after my performance. It's only what I deserve, after my savage desires.
It's embarrassing being the newest to this life in terms of not devouring humans. Even Emmett has come off the wagon, and even Edward but it was before I joined the coven as it was so long ago. I feel like a child compared to everyone else's self control and I question how Alice can do it.
After she was changed she was completely alone, James had destroyed her creator and fled, leaving her to wake up confused and scared after her painful transformation.
If Alice can refrain from human blood with no help then why can't I?
If I listen carefully I can hear Alice calling my name, but I can't bring myself to face her yet, I'm still too ashamed of myself.
I'm about to change direction slightly, so she can't find me, when I hear someone is right behind me. I turn and crouch ready to defend myself from this attacker.
They are almost here...