Chapter 23- Going Home

We reach the airport, finally, and Carlisle pays the limo driver as I help Alice and Rosalie out. Me and Carlisle then coax Emmett out with the promise of nourishment.
Me and Alice go and hunt, since Rosalie refuses to leave him and Carlisle needs to ring Esme book the plane tickets home and then help Emmett feed. I would have gone on my own but I can't bare to be parted from Alice, just as she refused to let me leave without her. She told Rose not to panic after having a vision, she wouldn't tell us all the details but said it would be a funny argument on the plane, which Emmett in particular would enjoy.
We are lucky in our hunt as we find a chipmunk, 2 rabbits and a calf, this should be enough to get Emmett at least feeling like himself, although it probably won't sedate his thirst completely.
We bring them back in a backpack left in the limo by a previous customer and carry it back quickly.
We don't hold hands or touch but we run in perfect synchronised steps, like a beautiful dance being performed. We never stray more than a metre from each other at any given time, keeping one eye on our surroundings and the other on her. If Emmett didn't need us I would stop and simply stare at her for hours on end, but circumstances do not allow me.
We regroup in the airport lobby, and by surrounding Emmett and Carlisle in a circle we allow them privacy as Carlisle forces blood from the animals to Emmett's mouth. Once he has recovered we have an hour left until our flight. Rose and Emmett pretend to be interested in souvenirs, Carlisle buys a coffee and paper and pretends to read it but he's actually watching us all with one eye at all times. Me and Alice go to the food court area, buy two pretzels a coke and a bottle of water. We pretend to sip at the coke, but don't take a single sip between us.
After 20 minutes I decide I need a walk, we go past a poor family who I can sense are hungry by their feelings (I can tell they are poor from their luggage and clothing). We offer our pretzels and water, their children accept gratefully then I slip a twenty in the mans pocket and we continue. We don't go too far, I just need to be alone with Alice. We reach a quiet corner of a corridor, there are no shops or benches only a fire exit and a door leading to a staff only zone.
I take a deep breath and then relax my hand allowing it to protrude from my jacket, indicating to Alice it's okay. She waits another minute to check I'm sure before taking my hand with her own gentle grasp. I exhale and let it linger.
"It's okay Jasper, I won't hurt you. I just want to stand a little closer". I nod allowing her to enter my personal space.
"Can we hug now, please?"
I take 5 seconds and then nod, I'm shaking all over trying to force the thoughts of loosing Alice from my mind. She gently strokes my cheek and I feel myself calm under her touch.
"Jasper Hale, I promised to never leave your side. Nothing in this world could make me break my promise to you".
We finally board our plane to go to our home, although it doesn't feel like home the way forks did. Carlisle Emmett and Rose sit at the back whilst me and Alice take the two near the emergency exit. We buckle up and lean towards each other, allowing ourselves to be able to stare in to each other's eyes. Her beauty is truly captivating and I happily waste the next hours gazing at her.
Emmett brakes my concentration when he's loud booming laugh fills up the plane, after an air attendant and Rosalie are locked in a staring match. I see what Alice meant as I now notice the stain on Rosalie's blazer, poor flight attendant gaining Roses admiration like that. However it is not important and so I return to Alice, I notice as I glimpse back that she has photos tucked in her coat, the corners are sticking up ever so slightly over the edge of her breast pocket. Just as I'm about to ask her about it we hit turbulence.