A Dead Girl

Dabi POV

What the hell was that supposed to mean? I school my features into neutrality, and keep my good eye on his face.

"As of a few weeks ago, she was alive, so I'm not sure what you mean," I respond.

"Well she isn't anymore boy, even you should know that a few hours is all it takes for the king or queen of the world to be disposed of,"

No. No he's lying. Keep it cool.

"Alright, she's dead, I still need info, and I'm not leaving here without it," Ryleigh lets out a whimper behind me, but I still ignite my other hand in blue flame. And ignore the fact that Hawks had made his way up beside me.

"Well where do you want me to start?"

"At the beginning,"

"I have scouts at three entrances to this city, the docks, the airport, and the roadways, so when a young girl comes biking into town it doesn't stir up to much suspicion. We just assumed she was an errand girl for somebody on the outskirts, but that day she didn't leave. I think she knew that the first night she stayed here she was on gang territory." I watch him smile, almost fondly.

"Cray was always a smartass, and when she had still been in the city for three days, sleeping in alleyways, I was intrigued. I sent two guys out to ID her, and when the results came back, there was nothing. We ran her data through the records four times, checking any database we could, even looking to see if we were seeing a ghost. Nothing."

"That was new. A girl with no data, but spoke fluent in Japanese, and seemed at home. It had been a week and a half when I finally sent three guys after her. Two rookies and one of my best, to bring her back for a little questioning. " He paused, as if thinking about the story.

"But that night when they were supposed to return, Cray was the one barging into my office. She had their rings, and my business card. I had sent guys out to find them, thinking it was a ruse; their bodies were discovered in a dumpster. So I had a little murderer on my hands."

" I had no clue about her past, still don't, but she was wicked. Her agility, and control of her quirk were astonishing for a young girl, so she made her way up on our Assassin's list. A few jobs here and there, usually a commission based checklist and whatever ones she took, and accomplished she got paid for."

" It was astonishing how good she was with weaponry, even when no quirks could be used, she was the most skilled I knew of. That got her the nickname Diamond, after a diamond in the rough. Nobody thought she was able to do anything, and it was their downfall." He seemed to be reminiscing, like she was his own daughter.

"The last job I sent her on, though. It wasn't hers to take. A private hire, some hero who didn't finish the job, I sent two of my guys out first, they needed the money more than she did. But they came back with burns covering their entire bodies, even my best were outdone by her. So I had nothing to do but let her take it, and well," I watch keenly as the man reaches into his desk pulling out something. A ring?

"She finished the job, dropped off my contact list that day, saying she was settling down with the money she'd saved up. I heard a few rumors she still took jobs, but haven't been in direct contact with her until those few weeks ago. Came into this bar looking for a distraction. Left with one of my pretty little bartenders, and one of my usuals." I watch him sigh, his tone turning regretful.

"I wasn't in the best place that night, and when my little rival came up in here, I may have sent a few people after her. I heard she got jumped a few weeks back, with some guy, and managed to get poison in her system. I had the opening to cut her out of the picture and took it. That poison eats a way at a person, yeah it will leave her system, should have by now. But it leaves you dizzy, and with fainting spells, so she was already weak, and step two was easy. There is a cure, yes, but there is also a chemical that reacts with it to disintegrate a person's bond with their quirk-"

"Shut it," I whisper, the flames in my hand were beginning to sting. A few needles at a time, and I try not to wince as I retract them. He shuts up, his eyes almost bulging out like one of those childrens toys. I walk forward steadily. Grabbing the ring from his hand, even as his fingers clamp around it, I send little burns from my fingertips. And as he pulls away I tug the ring away. It was gold, and I did flinch as I noticed the pattern engraved.

"You recognize it boy?" He asks as I continue to stare at the Todoroki family ring in my palm. The top a stamp for a formal wax seal. Flames rapping around the letter T.

"Bloody hell," Hawks whispers peering over my shoulder.

"Thank you for your time sir," I say tucking it into my pocket, and turning on my heel.

"Hey wait, Endeavor himself left that in my care,"

"I truly don't care who left my ring in your care, but you should know I'm not dead." I answer and slam the door shut. Instead of heading out the same room, I cross into the one across the hall. Slipping directly to the window. I jam it open, pop open the screen, and grab Ryleigh by the shoulders.

"Jump," I say, and she whips her head to me.

"You're insane," she responds, but clambers out the window, and stands next to the wall.

"You next,"  Hawks sighs, jumping out beside her and leaving me to slide out, avoiding rubbing my burns against the metal.

"We need to go, now." I say and Ryleigh takes the hint to begin sprinting, as a few guys notice us and call out.

Hawks follow behind her, and we slide into the truck, starting the engine, and flooring it. People jump out of the way as we keel out of the driveway.