The Last Day I wanted to Live

!!! TRIGGER WARNING: SUICIDE !!!

Hawks POV

After leaving her on the corner of her street I sat on top of a nearby rooftop. Watching her knock on the door. As the old woman who ran the gang embraced her like a daughter. As a young girl with two toned hair jumped on her like they were siblings.

I knew she saw me there. She even looked directly at me. I had known her for years. Yet seeing her now. I didn't know her at all.

I had memories of a girl. One whose father had trained me, and worked for the hero commission. A girl who could barely manipulate water, let alone other liquids. A girl with bright eyes, and dreams of becoming a hero.

I tried to imagine what happened to her. But couldn't envision her in the situations a young girl would find here self in on these streets. A pretty one at that.

I had left that day, to go to a test with the commission, and see how my quirk had progressed. I knew it was the anniversary of their mother's death. I had even grabbed some flowers on the way home. Though as I had landed on the estate I immediately registered the silence. No girls giggling. No man in his office. I had ran to the house. My mind went to villains immediately.

In the entrance hall I called out. I was barely breathing. I ran into the office nothing. Then to the kitchen, still nothing but a half empty glass of water. The living room was next. I had been sprinting up the stairs and when I found him, I almost fell over. His body was cold. Not dead cold but frozen. Frost all over his body. Backing up slowly I kept calling for the girls. No response. I checked their parents room where they often hid. Still silence. I had reached their bedroom and the door was slammed shut. I had thrown my weight into it. Shoulder burning. Before the old lock finally popped.

My eyes caught on the girl on the floor first. She was lying their limp. Eyes shut. I had walked forward and fallen to my knees. Picking up her small body. It was cold. Her neck crooked. At that moment I broke. I dropped her body. Leaving a feather on her chest. Then I fled. Searching the entirety of the estate for the other girl. The one with sliver hair, and soft eyes.

Nothing. She had been gone.

I knew I was crying. I took off anyway. Flying to a bridge on the outskirts of the city. My whole body gave way. The river roared beneath it. I had stood here that night, eight years ago, and jumped. I would have died. I had wanted to die. Then and there. But my wings worked against me. I couldn't even control them. They caught me, then let me fall gently to the water.

The bridge whistled. The old rusted metal swaying. When gravel crunched. My head jolted up. Eyes red, I saw a figure walking towards me.  I wiped my eyes, and the figure became clear. It was a man. My age. Though the wicked scars covering him said otherwise. He saw me and kept walking.

"What are you doing out here?" I call out.

"I could ask you the same thing," he responds.
________________________________
Dabi POV

Hawks.

Anyone on the underground could name the local heroes. His wings were a bit of a giveaway. But what was he doing here. It was a long walk out here. Though I suppose he flew. I kept my stride steady, as he watched me.

I finally stopped a few feet from him.

His face was tear stained.

"It's not smart for a hero to be out here all alone," I say, smirking.

"And why would that be?"

"Because of how many people have chosen to end it here and were saved by the shadows."

He stares at me.

"Suicide?" He asks.

"It's more common than you think,"

"What do you mean by shadows?"

"The underground. We control this area, and most of us are thought broken beyond repair." I respond keeping my eyes on the movement on the ground.

"You're telling me you do suicide watch?" It sounds as if he's almost laughing.

I look at his face this time. My eyes catching on him.

"Yeah. The heroes fail more people than you think." I gesture to my scars, laughing.

"How?" He asks, serious.

"I can't tell you who. Or how. Just that some quirks have purposes that nobody sees."

He nods. His younger self showing through as he looks around almost curiously. Gods we had been so young, the last time he had seen me.

It had been before I ran away. When his reading had failed, and the hero commission took him in fully. When we were what? 12?

"I'll see you around," I say walking across the bridge. Leaving him watching behind me.

Total Word Count: 830

Do I smell sexual tension? Yes I do. Was I considering putting them as a polyamorous relationship? Yes. Until we meet again...

-S.O. Sullivan