The past never forgets-

Yes I just titled this that. Time for some tragic backstory time, couldn't be a main character without that.

"I guess you might be right," he says looking down sadly.

"Could you tell me what happened? I leave one morning and when I come back-" his voice cuts out. As if he had been there. I look down at the table cloth.

"I'd rather not say, while we're here,"

He nods stands up leaving a few bills in the table. Before coming over to me. "Why don't we take a trip down memory lane?"

He wraps his arms around me in an embrace, and kicks off from the ground. I keep my breathing steady as my fists clenched in his shirt. The flight is cold, but not long. When he sets down I hold on for a bit longer checking to make sure that everything beneath me was solid.

He had brought us to the estate. Driving here would have been close to an hour, but flying was different. I breathe in the sight. It was a small grove of trees. You couldn't reach them from the ground, so he had flown me and her up to them when we were younger.

"Where do you want me to start?" I finally ask.

"The minute I left," he almost sounds hurt. "The minute I left you alone with him." I nod.

Keigo walked out the door. Smiling to my father. We were eleven, him 14. As he took off father went into his office, supposedly to make some business calls. Of course he had forgotten. We watched silently as he shut the door before scrambling up to our room. Her side blue. Mine green. She picked up the flowers that she had prepared, and I grabbed a bottle of water and some stones. We ran out of our room and onto our deck, then down the stairs.
Scrambling we kept going until, under the old willow, we came to our mother's grave. It had only been two years. She placed down the flowers slowly talking to the grave like mother was there as she showed her how her quirk was working. They grew into the ground. In a small heart pattern. I laid down the stones beside it. Then I opened the water bottle and began to manipulate it. My mother hadn't liked my quirk. She thought it was a wicked thing to be able to control the living through water. But I made a small sculpture from the water. It was in the shape of a hawk. Her favorite animal. She said she liked them because "their strong, and they can fly away to freedom,"
We smiled at our little gifts before running back to the house. Our feet sore from the stones. Then we sat in our room. Staying quiet. It was 2 o'clock according to our clock. When our fathers footsteps began storming upstairs. We immediately froze up. She began to cry. I tried to quiet, and calm her. It didn't work. As he through open our door he began to yell. About everything, we hadn't cleaned the house, we hadn't done anything, we were selfish brats, she cried through it all. I sat in front of her. Finally, he yelled for us to stand up. I did immediately my whole body shaking but keeping a steady face. She couldn't.
He yelled again. She still couldn't. Finally, he started breaking things. His hands turned to claws, ones made of ice. Then it formed on his back. He tore the wallpaper through the last of our mothers pictures to the ground. He smashed the window. I remember yelling. For him to stop. "Please, please, please stop," over and over again. He didn't. He finally stopped. I thought for a moment that he was ok. That it was over. Then my nose caught the smell of alcohol. Coming from him. Before I could scream. He grabbed her. He grabbed her by her head. And broke her neck. Then stormed out of the room. I ran forward. Clutching her in my arms. "Hold on," I had screamed through my tears. "Don't leave me," I held my twin sister. As she died in my arms.

"Anielle," Hawks whispered. He was watching me. Tears streamed down his face.

"I'm not finished,"

I had held her until her body went cold. Until my voice didn't work. My head pounded. Then I stood up. Grabbed a sweatshirt from my closet. And walked downstairs. He had looked at me. Sitting in the living room, as though nothing had happened. Watched me as I walked towards him. Then he tried to embrace me. Instead I grabbed his wrist. I froze every vein in his body. I watched as he died. Didn't let go of his wrist until his heart had stopped for good.

Then I walked out of the house. Grabbed my bike, and started towards the city. With nothing but the clothes on my back.

I fell forward my knees buckling. Hawks caught me though. I hadn't noticed how close he had gotten. I rested my head on his chest. Hands gripped in his shirt. One hand gripped my back, his other stroked my hair. I cried. And didn't stop. Even when he picked me up and started flying. We landed on the roof of a house. The house. He then fell to the ground. Pulling me with him. I landed firmly on top of him and he just sighed. Sitting up and cradling me like a child. His wings wrapped around us.

My crying stopped. I didn't move from his embrace though. He was so warm. As the sky turned darker. I let the noise of the crickets calm my nerves. Then he began to hum. At first it was off key, and I didn't know what he was saying. Then it slowed. Turned softer, and I let the tune register in my brain. My mothers lullaby.

When my father had bad nights, Hawks would come to our room with my mother. We would lock the door, and pile in one bed. Hawks and my mother with a the sisters in between. My mom would sing. Hawks wasn't related to her. In fact she reminded him of all the bad my father had done. But on those nights, she would sing to each of us.

His humming slowed into steady breathing and when I looked up from his chest he was peering right back at me.

"I was here," he said.

"What?"

"I hadn't come back since that day. When I came home- and found everything. I fled. Today though-" his voice cut out. "Today I came back. I wasn't sure if you were, you. So I went in your room. And I found this." He pulled something from his pocket. Unfolding his wings so the moonlight came down. He held out a tiara.

It was silver. Embedded with blue and green stones. They twinkled in the night's soft light.

"It was your's." He whispered.

I slowly lifted the piece from his hands. Sure enough. My mother had brought it back from a trip of hers. Saying how the blue and green reminded her of us. We had shared the crown. It had been way to big and always fell off, but now when I lifted it to my head it sat perfectly.

"I need to get back," I say realizing how late it had gotten.

"Back where?" Hawks whispered. Of course. He didn't know where, and who I was involved with.

"Roses." I say. He looks surprised at first.

"I'm flying you home."

"Fine," I sigh. He's going to find out eventually.

"371 River street." His eyes widen. The address registering.

"You're- you're part of a gang? And a reputable one at that," he pauses. "Leave come with me. I have an apartment on the east side. You don't have to live like that."

"If you had been there eight years ago, maybe." I say. "But I've made a life for myself. I told you tonight what I've told nobody. So you either will fly me home. Or I will start walking, and you can arrest me."

"I'll take you home," he says like there was no there option. "But what would I arrest you for? I can't take in a gang member with record of crime?"

As he wraps his arms around my waist I go silent. Then he starts to fly. This time my stomach drops and I almost scream. Instead I say.

"I just admitted to my first murder."

Total Word Count: 1428

Ah fuck that was long. This may very well be becoming Hawks x OC. They have history. I'll try to elaborate in a Hawks POV chapter next. But we going to be getting more Dabi soon.

-S.O. Sullivan