Time to Wake Up

Heyyy, this is going to be the last chapter so I can start revisions. This book is a fucking messy first draft, it's missing so much detail and plot. But I must thank you all for getting this far with me :)

Finish Date: 10/15/21

When I awoke, it was in a small cramped room. The shutters were sealed and the stench of salt hung heavy in the air.

My clothes were stiff and my eyes puffy. I didn't want to think of everything I'd gone through in the days past.

Touya and I had fled. He'd thrown me into the street and we'd managed to get far enough on an old motorcycle that we could change our appearance slightly.

I kept my clothes but made him change, while I applied a fake tattoo to the side of my face and slid in colored contacts.

Then we fled.

We bought train tickets from a couple who couldn't make their trip, family stuff apparently, and we boarded like normal.

Touya and I had tucked ourselves away in the small suite the couple had rented out and we traded off who slept and who kept an eye out for anything that could be a problem.

There were small snacks delivered to the suite, and we stuffed them in a tote bag that had been abandoned in the over head compartment.

The train let us off in a small town, where we were able to hitch a bus too the next town over.

It was a coastal town, seashells and driftwood decorating people's front porches as we strode through the village.

Finally, we settled on a bed and breakfast owned by an elderly couple. Both of them quirkless, and we lied. Agreeing that we too lacked the special abilities the world controlled.

They took pity on us and offered the last room, a tight one bed, meant for a single person traveling alone.

Me and Touya lied again, saying we'd been married for several years and a small bed wasn't a bother for the night.

When we collapsed into the room I broke down. I fell to the floor, sobs racking my body silently.

Touya eventually carried me to the bed, and slid the two of us under the comforter.

I never stopped crying, even when my eyes dried out, the shudders still carried through my bones.

Touya held me close, cradling me against him. I don't know when we fell asleep, but it was dreamless and peaceful.

Now, I stood. Looking around, there was no note or sign of Touya's return. My heart leaped slightly as I rummaged around and peered out the window. Where is he?

"Hey-" His voice started, and I leapt to the door.

He looked down at me, confused.

"You can't fucking leave me like that," I whispered, and he chuckled.

"I'm not leaving you, not unless you want me to go." He responds.

"Never," I answer.

"Do you want me to bring up breakfast?" He asked. I stared at him. "You must be starving." He reasoned.

"Yes please," I muttered.

"I promise, I'll be back in a few minutes." He pulls me to his chest once, pressing a kiss to my forehead before slipping out the door.

Even though my heart fluttered, the grief banged at it more. 

I felt stuffy, and reached to click the window open.

Cold air hit me, and I got a strong inhale of just salt.

I settled down, wrapping the comforter around my shoulders and watching as the waves receded back into the black ocean.

The faintest hint of frost gathered on the window sill,  but melted away into water as the sun rose.

"I'm coming in," Touya's voice called as he pushed open the door. A large platter of assorted foods held between his hands.

Silently, he strides over to the couch and lays the platter down.

"You sure did a convincing job with the owners. They believe I'm a doting husband," He chuckles. "Also, with the amount of food I grabbed and how worried I appeared to them, they asked if you were expecting." He snorts.

"Would you want to be?" I ask, grabbing a piece of toast from the tray.

"Would I want to be what?" He asks in return.

"A husband, or a father for that matter."

He stares at me, before nibbling on some fruit. "I suppose I never thought about it. How about you?"

"I never thought I'd have the chance to settle down at all, but there was the annoying little fantasy of having a partner and kids, yes."

"Well you have the chance now," He sighs.

"I do?"

"Yeah, we can't go back Anielle, but staying on the run would be more suspicious than anything."

"I suppose you're right."

"So what do you say?"

"What?"

"Let's settle down,"

It was my time to stare. "Are you serious?" I question, and watch as his face reddens.

"I mean, we don't have to get married, or have kids, if you don't want too, but we could finally let go."

"I don't know if I'm ready to let go," I say, my voice cracking.

"And you don't have to be," He takes my hand in his own, rubbing tight circles with his thumb.

"I think I'd like to live on the coast," I sigh, watching the waves out the window.

"Really?" Touya asks. "Why?"

"It's nice," I smile to him.

"If it means seeing your smile each day, then yeah, let's settle down on the ocean."

"What about you, though?"

"I want you happy," He sighs. "I'm willing to sacrifice anything for that."

"I'm happy, right here, right now."

"Then I'm happy." He reaches up and cups my cheek. I lean into the warmth.

"Can I kiss you?"

"Yes." I breathed.

It was slow, sweet, and tasted like dreams.

In that moment my grief was over shone, it was the two of us. The past, shuttered away to something we could take on together.

We were infinite.

Total Word Count: 1002.

Wow, I can't believe it's over.

The satisfaction of making this story completed is really big.

Though I'm going to miss it for a while, whilst I take a break and prepare to start editing. (Along with posting a new, original work.)

Have a sweet night my lovelies.