Ryleigh Does Not Like Being the Bearer of Bad News

Anielle POV

"So you didn't kill him," Rei says glancing to me, while trying to keep her gaze steady on the road. 

"Nope," I respond, combing my hands through my hair.

"Then what you told him back there-"

"Was a lie." I finish for her, managing to make my split ends look a little less spilt.

"And nobody knows he's alive, except for me, Artemis, and anybody who has been in contact with him since then." I add.

Rei just keeps quiet, staring at the road signs. I rest my head on the palm of my hand and watch out the window. Letting the little song stuck in my head play on repeat. 

"When you say Artemis, do you mean like the gang leader?"

I jolt up to look at her, shocked by the statement and the steadiness of her voice. 

"Because if so I should probably get ready for the awkward family reunion." 

Now I'm just shocked speechless. I know my mouth must be agape, and eyes wide.

"Yeah, that's who I mean," I manage to say, and she just smiles fondly.

"Oh wonderful," 

"So how are you two related?" I ask the woman seated next to me.

"Oh we're sisters,"

I continue to stare, and she finally notices the confusion on my face.

"About three years before I married Enji, she ran away. That's why my father was so desperate for a quirk marriage. She and I have pretty opposite abilities, her's taking after my mother's side. When she hadn't come back home, I started searching for her, and discovered the vigilante work she was involved in. It was a small group that she was easily the strongest in, but it worked. I met up with her every month or so after my wedding, but soon I was pregnant, and had eyes on me twenty-four-seven.  My parents were steady again after my wedding, and children, but if she had been married off as well they would have been wealthy, and she couldn't bear that so she fled."

The explanation fits, the stories Artemis had told me made sense to the timeline. 

"So that would make Touya my age,"

"Yeah, he would've been, give or take a year,"

The car became silent again. The two of us lost in thought, up until I saw the gates to the city, and Rei asked me to tell her the directions to my home. 

They were basic, turn left or right, stop here, watch out for that hole there. I kept my eyes out and hood up.

We stopped the car about a block away, because there was no direct route you could get to without walking. She convinced me to take her in through the front door. Apparently she found humor in surprising her sister, who I wasn't sure I believed was her sister.

She quieted down when the alleys became gloomier. Shied away from the people huddled against walls. 

"We're here," I sigh walking up to the brick exterior of my home. I climbed the few steps, and knocked on the door.

"Who ar- Anielle?" Kyla questions, staring back at me. 

"Heyo," I respond waving my hand a little. Before I could stop the girl from tackling me to the ground, she was wrapped around me and I had to one handedly cling to the railings for balance. 

"You fucking scared me,"  she sighs into my neck, as I brush my hands over her braids.

She pulls away abruptly and stares behind me, at the woman I'd forgotten for a moment was there.