Touch

Azriel forgot how to breathe. 

  He forgot how to move...how to function.

  Gwyn had her soft hands wrapped around his torso, her head was placed against his roaring heart. 

  Azriel had his hands out, unsure what to do with them as she held onto him tighter.

 "May I touch you, Gwyn?" he could barely speak.

  He felt her breathe in calmly and believed that as a good sign.

 "Please, Azriel.." she whispered in his skin.

  And so, with his scarred disfigured hands, he pulled her close to him. His fingers traced her skin as if it was the most fragile essence on the planet.

  His own head moved to lie gently atop her head and he breathed in the scent that intoxicated him.

  Her scent of oranges and spring.

  Azriel never wanted it to end...her touch. 

  Gwyn opened her hands and laid them flat against his back, now rubbing smooth circles. 

  Azriel swore that no other touch could ever compare.

  He had never felt like that in his entire life. 

  And for the first time, his shadows did not only encompass just him...but they swarmed them together. 

  As if they too were hugging the two of them close.

  His fingers grazed up her back, until they reached her fiery hair and wrapped around the locks. Azriel gently cupped the back of her head and he held her as close as possible.

  The feel of her cheeks on his bare chest... he felt that he would never be deserving of such a feeling.

  He finally felt like he..belonged.

  And after another few moments of pure ecstasy, he pulled away gently while cupping her cheeks instead.

 "Thank you...for allowing me to do that," his voice croaked.

  And then Gwyn did something that she had not done in weeks.

  She smiled up at him.

  Azriel's heart stood completely still as his eyes memorized the image of that perfect smile.

 "Come to the starlight pool with me tomorrow night?" Azriel did not know why he asked her.

  Her eyes twinkled at that question. "Only if we are to remain professional, Shadowsinger. We would not want to shame the Night Court."

  He moved closer, pivoting her neck up with his hands. "I do not doubt anything less. I do not expect to find a Priestess running naked in public any time soon."

  Shit.. maybe he should have not said that. 

  It had been too soon to flirt again.

  But Gwyn chuckled softly, "No, you are right. You will just have to leave that in your imagination, Azriel."

  She moved away, breaking their connection...their touch.

 "Tomorrow then," she nodded before heading back to her wing.

  Azriel just stood at his door like a dumbstruck youngling as he watched her disappear. 

  He was beyond grateful that she had even given him that gift...the gift of touch.

  Then he was on his feet, back into his room, packing his belongings.

  He could not wait to move out of the damn left wing.