Aftermath

Gwyn finally took her seat after making her announcement.

  Azriel was quick to go stand directly behind her, gripping her chair in earnest. 

 "I do not believe Gwyn should be forced to participate.." Lucien spoke for the first time.

  He turned and gave Gwyn a reassuring smile, spreading a comfort she did not know she needed.

 "No one should be forced to do anything...regardless if they are mates, married, friends.." Lucien continued.

  Helion suddenly gave his full attention to Lucien, gazing at him with a look of...confusion.

  That one look from Helion to Lucien, made Rhysand snap his head to Feyre...and then to Azriel.

  Something was going on.

 "I agree with the fireling..." Neta started.

  Helion was turning his head, moving his eyes alongside each face.He had clearly heard some of the conversation between Gwyn and Azriel...where they no doubt mentioned that Gwyn was risking another violation.

 "If she is not comfortable with it...who are we to force her? I agree with Lucien.." Helion stated.

  Gwyn lowered her eyes, on the verge of tears from the whole situation.

  Azriel moved his hand to her shoulder, squeezing her gently.

  Suddenly, Gwyn was happy beyond belief that Tamlin had spilled their secret..

  Now she could touch Azriel...and smile at him without worrying about others.

  Gwyn's fingers reached his hand on her shoulder, and linked through his fingers.

 "You all, of course, know my position on this.." Azriel started.

  Rhysand nodded to each and every member.

  Then he leaned back in his chair and breathed out, "Then we are going to kill someone."

*****

  Throughout the rest of the meeting, Gwyn tried not to feel like such a burden.

  They were all extensively planning the sacrifice...

  If only they could accept her decision...even if it was a forced decision.

  Then they began to plan the full scheme of how to break the curse...all the procedures.

 "If the sacrifice does not work...and we are forced with the other option...what would happen after?" Gwyn interrupted and finally spoke to Tamlin.

  Tamlin almost gasped when she gave him her full attention.

 "Once the act is commenced," he swallowed, unable to meet her eyes.

 "There is another ceremonial part.."

  And so, he began to explain what would have to be done in order to fully eradicate the curse.

  Gwyn wanted to leave the room...she never wanted to be in another meeting again.

  When they broke for dinner, Gwyn was out on her feet in an instant.

  Nesta followed shortly after, remaining on Gwyn's heels.

 "Look if you are mad about Elain.." Gwyn turned.

 "I am not sorry.."

  Nesta's brows furrowed, her mouth thinned. "She deserved that one.."

 "If someone said that to my mate...and grabbed him like that...I would have probably acted the same.."

  Gwyn let out a breath, slightly revealed that she did not have to deal with angry Nesta.

 "Do you think this is all selfish? Not going through with Calanmai?" Gwyn asked.

  Nesta remained silent as she held a hand to Gwyns back and led her down the hall.

 "I think it should not even be in question..." Nesta lowered her voice.

 "I think the Inner Circle is not perfect...they barely handled my situation in a humane way.." she whispered.

 "Do not ever feel unvalidated or unimportant. Yes, people are suffering, but there is always a loop hole," she hugged Gwyn to her.

 "Your trauma matters...your healing matters...even if you are just one person amongst thousands.."

 "I feel like such a burden.." Gwyn gasped in Nesta's shoulders.

 "I know that feeling all too well.." Nesta murmued.

 "But then I went and did something with my life...I healed with time...I was not forced into such a situation..." Nesta turned her head and gazed at the end of the hallway.

  Cassian was waiting there with a soft smile.

  He made his way to them, "Gwyn...you are my brothers mate...you are my family.."

 "Cassian-"

 "No, you are my family and I will stand by you. I will do anything to help protect Azriel's mate."

  Just as Cassian muttered those words, Gwyn felt Azriel near.

  All three of them turned and found Azriel at the end of the hall.

 "Speak of the devil.." Cassian muttered before turning back to Gwyn.

 "I will have a long conversation with him...but not now," Cassian grabbed onto Nesta's hand before they both departed to the living area.

  Gwyn was lost in her thoughts.

 But she also felt warmth from Cassian's beautiful words.

  Azriel neared her, "What are you thinking about?"

  She gazed up at him, reaching to pull his body towards her.

 "About how nice it is to have friends..."

  He smiled and cupped her cheek, rubbing her skin with his thumbs.

 "And about how we still have a very long conversation awaiting when we get home."

 "Home?" he raised a brow.

 "Yes, our home."

  He bent to kiss her gently, humming sweetly on her lips.

 "I like that sound of that...even if I get a scolding.."

 "Yes, there will be scolding...and truths revealed."

 "What do you want to know, Priestess?"

  Gwyn paused, careful with her words.

 "What has happened between Helion and Lucien?"

  Azriel lowered his face, "Lucien's mother faces grave domestic abuse...Beron is overbearing, forceful, and violent. He knows first hand what can happen in a marriage."

  Gwyn held a hand to her mouth, "Oh, Lucien."

  The poor man had suffered through so much, his own assault and now living through his mothers?

 "And what about Helion? What is the connection?" she raised a brow.

  Azriel placed a hand on her back and led her to where the guests were.

 "I will let you figure that out on your own.." he whispered just as they entered.

  There, Gwyn witnessed Helion and Lucien conversing quietly on the couch.

  She almost had to step back when she noticed it...and wondered how no one else could...even Lucien himself.

  Gwyn always felt that warmth around Lucien...had felt the sunshine..the fire of Day.

  And now staring at them sitting close to one another....

  There was no doubt...

  Helion was Lucien's father.