The Room

Azriel followed his mate in a maze of darkened hallways.

  He refused to speak as Gwyn observed their new surrounding...he allowed her to embark in it. The Shadowsinger just watched as she twisted her head, noting each door in the hallway. 

  He was still on a high after she had declared her love for him. At that point, she could drag him into anything and he wouldn't even mind.

  But he analyzed her features...how her brows furrowed when they arrived to a small creaky door.

 "This is it.." she muttered, her fingers trembling on the knob.

  Azriel instinctually placed his hand atop hers, helping her twist open the door. Gwyn inhaled and paced into the dark room. Azriel had to bend his head and tighten his wings in order to walk through the entryway.

  He found himself standing in a fairly regular looking bedroom, but their were small details that confirmed someone had lived there once.

  Azriel knew what that room had meant to her.

  Gwyn strolled to the bed, trailing a finger on the covers before taking a seat. Her glimmering attire contrasted against the dull furnishings.

 "This is where I spent two years of my life," she sighed, her hands still exploring the surface.

  Azriel leaned into the dressing table, allowing her to have that moment.

 "You know, for so long...I hated thinking about the library when I left," she whispered.

 "I hated thinking about this room in general...I hated remembering who I had become between these walls," her voice shook.

  Azriel went to go sit beside her, his hands clasping hers into his lap.

 "But, I have come to realize that this room...is the space that I evolved in...the space that kept me safe when I felt I had no where else.." she lowered her head, staring at their joined hands.

 "And I think I have come to a time in my life where I can sit in this room and thank it for everything.." she lifted her gaze to his, her teal eyes shining in revelation.

 "And I think it is time that I finally do this," she stood, dropping his hand gently. Gwyn walked towards the mundane wooden closet and opened the doors.

  Her fingers rummaged through some of her clothing until she reached the back of the piles. Gwyn pulled out a piece, her hands scrunching the material for a moment before she turned back to him.

  She paced back to him and placed his cloak into his lap.

 "I think it is time that I give this back you."

  Azriel's breath had caught in his throat as he gazed between the cloak and her.

 "Gwyn, I-"

"It did its duty Azriel...just like this room has," she closed their distance until she stood between his bent knees, her fingers running through his hair.

 "But, I do not need it anymore..I can say goodbye to it because these are just material things," her hands ran down to his chest.

 "I have a family now...I have you...I have myself," she smiled gently.

 "Gwyn, you are my family now," his hands pulled her body until she sat on his lap.

 "Thank you for being so open with me...about everything. Thank you for sticking with me even when I have not been that open about my past," he whispered.

  Gwyn just traced a piece of his hair behind his ear, "I will never pressure you...I will be patient just as you have with me."

  Azriel paused for a moment, just feeling her skin on his.

 "I never had a proper family growing up," he started, gripping her to him.

 "I was locked away when I was young...unable to fly...unable to see the skies.." he buried his nose into her neck, trembling as he remembered it all.

 "I had a horrible step mother and ever worse brothers..." his voice shook.

 "They wanted to see if my hands good catch fire-" he breathed.

 "And they did...my hands caught on fire," he could not speak for a moment.

  Gwyn just ran her hands into his hair, soothing him as he spoke his truths.

 "I was not the same after that, even when I made two new brothers. There was always something wicked in my soul."

 "And I never thought I would ever be gifted with such a beautiful thing," he lifted his head to stare at her.

 "You know when I had been captured by the nightmare suriels...It was because my fears had changed. Before, my nightmares had always been about fire and suffocation...but now it is all about my mate."

 "I thank the cauldron every single day for giving you to me...even if you never choose to accept us...I am grateful for everything that you have chosen to give to me."

  Gwyn sucked in a breath as she trailed her fingers down his cheeks, her chest pressing into his.

 "Az," she began.

 "I accept your past and everything that has made you the male today."

 "I accept every single scar..." she traced a pattern on his hands.

 "I accept your beautiful mind...not matter if you believe it is wicked."

 "I accept you completely, in every single way," she whispered as she leaned her lips to his cheek.

 "I accept us," she whispered into his ear.

  Azriels heart was pounding, his pulse raging as she touched every part of him.

 "I would be honoured to spend the rest of my life with you," she turned to face him.

 "Azriel, my love, my best friend, my Shadowsinger...." her hands gripped his shirt.

 "I accept the mating bond."

  They both gasped out from the words, feeling an energy of love surround them. Azriel parted his lips, but he physically could not speak.

  Their hearts were beating against each other.

 "And I think there is one more thing left to be done," she slithered out of his lap and rushed out of the room.

  Gwyn arrived a minute later, one arm behind her back.

 "Do you accept us?" she held out her hand.

 And in her palm... lay one single orange.