16- euphoria

Song- High Heels. by JoJo

2nd Song- Waiting For Love by Avicii

————————

Time stands frozen as I stare up at Olly in the middle of the deserted car park. The afternoon slowly fading into the night as the sun melts into the horizon and the light turns to a daunting orange glow which, in normal circumstances, would be igniting the sky in beauty but instead haunts it with warning.

A final tear trickles down my cheek and falls from the cliff edge of my jaw, tumbling all the way to the worn gravel beneath my planted feet. Olly looks at me with sympathetic eyes and brings a gentle hand to wipe away the remnants.

"Hey," Noémi begins as she strolls over us, her soft voice breaking the silent moment between Olly and me.

"Hi," I turn to her and smile.

"Any news?" Olly asks.

"His tracker went out of signal two minutes after he made the call to us, we're still unaware of his location," she sighs.

"His tracker?" I question.

"Whenever we go on any sort of job we always activate the small trackers that we carry," she explains as she lifts her shirt to just below her ribs and reveals a small chip latched onto her skin.

"Does everyone have one?"

"All of us here do," Olly nods as he also raises his shirt displaying the small tracker attached in the same area.

"So you can track everyone 24/7?"

"No, you have to activate the tracker for it to work, so you only have to have it on when doing jobs," she smiles down to me.

"So did he turn it off?" I ask.

"Either that or it got destroyed," Olly speaks quietly, clearly fretting the worst case scenario.

"Have you checked where he was seen last? Has anyone gone to the place that I heard the gun shot?" I pick up my tone, urgency suddenly hovering over me again.

"We are about to send two guys out there now, we have to wait for the police to clear the scene before we return back there," Olly explains to me, a calming shift in his voice.

"I'm coming," I declare strongly.

"No, you're staying here with me where I can watch you," Olly fires back instantly.

"No, I'm not, I'm going back to that office building," I stay stubborn.

"Farrah, it's not a good idea," Olly stresses.

"Then come with me," I suggest.

"I have to stay here incase someone gets information on his location," he counters.

"Then I'll go with Noémi," I argue.

I see his eyes shift from me as his gaze switches to Noémi who looks back at him with a convincing smile. I can see the hesitancy behind his eyes as he flicks them back to me, but eventually a defeated glare possesses over them.

"Fine, but you stick together and come back immediately," he gives in.

"Deal," I agree before turning towards Noémi and following her to her G-wagon.

She starts the engine and the car vibrates around us, I slump back into the seat behind and dread starts to file into me as I process what I could possibly uncover at the scene of where the gunshot was.

"I feel awful," I confess to Noémi as she drives out of the cluster of cars, waving to Olly as we pass by him.

'Why?" she asks kindly.