68- Whispers

Song- The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
————————

Leonardo Alvarez POV:

"You're staying here," I repeat firmly, hand resting on the wheel as I turn the key in the ignition.

Farrah glares back at me from the passenger seat, a scowl set firmly on her face. "I don't want to stay here," she argues, furiously flicking her eyes between my own.

"There's no need for you to come with me, it would just be stupid," I say, pulling out the key and placing it in a holder in the centre console.

"Olly told me to come with you, this is a joint job. We're here together, Leo," she continues to frown, not backing down.

I let out a heavy sigh and shake my head, "And I'm telling you to stay here. It would be stupid to take you in there and put you at risk when only I need to go. It's only one person, I'll be in and out within five minutes."

I graze my eyes over her shoulder to the derelict building behind. We're parked on an empty street but luckily it's still early morning so the man is likely to be asleep and won't notice us yet.

"You don't get to constantly tell me what to do," she insists with a cold tone.

I look back down at her with a flat face, one that's void of emotion. I draw back all of my snarky responses about lying and breaking trust with a sharp inhalation. For the sake of our goddamn relationship, I just look at her for a second longer before getting out of the car and firmly shutting the door behind me.

She goes to get out of her own door but just before she manages to successfully open it, I press my palm against the chilling glass and close the gap. She shoots daggers at me from the other side, looking completely appalled by my controlling behaviour.

It's not that I want to control every aspect of her life, it's just that her safety isn't up for debate.

She shoves on the door a few more times, desperately fighting to force it open but ultimately failing. I keep my hand pressed to the window as I look down at her, slowly shaking my head.

"Farrah, stay here, I'll be back in a few minutes," I frustratedly tell her.

There's also the fact that she would have to endure the sight of another death. She's not coping well with Miami and I know it. She's trying to hide her taunting mind and is failing horribly. Instead of facing the issue, she's pushing it to the back of her head and it will all just end up piling up on her.

She looks at me with deep set brows and eyes sparking with fury before slouching back in her seat in defeat. I hear a muffled 'fine' and then I'm cautiously pulling my hand away from the door.

I stand with my hands lowered to my sides, watching her through the window. She stares through the front windscreen, completely avoiding looking at me.

"Farrah, make sure you use your earpiece if you need me," I tell her, expecting some acknowledgment but she doesn't even flinch. I run my hand along my chin in annoyance before taking a step back and up the curb. "There's a gun in the glovebox, just in case you need it."

I stand motionless for a few moments longer and she still just completely ignores me. The only hint that she's still fucking alive is the way her chest is rising and falling with her unsteady breaths and her jaw tethering as she clenches it in rage.

With one last look, I turn away and head to the door of the broken building. I grab onto the tainted handle while my other hand gravitates to the grip of my gun which is tucked in my waistband.

I have every intention of walking straight up to his bedroom and killing him with a single shot to the head. I don't want to waste any time, I'm not in the mood.