30- burning spark

Song— Cringe by Matt Maeson

————————

We've been in the car for just over twenty minutes now. When both of them got the text, they got up to leave and dragged me along with them— kicking Otis out on the way.

Olly locked the door of the apartment and brought us down to the car park where we got in Leonardo's car, since he's the only one with enough seats, and I was delegated to the back seat. I tried to argue my way to the front seat but Olly was being stubborn and childish and said that he had shotgunned first.

Leonardo is still acting mysteriously quiet to the point that it's getting a little bit concerning. I asked him what was going on but he just completely blanked me and kept his harsh glare through the windscreen on the car in front.

Instead, Olly answered for me, telling me that Noémi had sent out an urgent message for them but she didn't elaborate any further so they aren't sure what to expect when they arrive.

I asked why Olly seems so relaxed with the situation, because to me an urgent message would be very alarming, but he just said that if it was that important then she would've called them instead.

I didn't even think to ask where we were going before we pull up to the outside of Leonardo's hotel. The sky's now pitch black with the neighbouring lights illuminating into the sky in a hazy fog, the whole exterior of the hotel is so lit up with life that it's sending weird shrills of excitement charging through me.

This exact feeling is the one that draws me to cities.

Staring out of the window and up to the huge building, I hear the slam of a car door and lower my gaze to watch Leonardo already striding towards the main entrance without even waiting for me and Olly.

Seizing the opportunity of Olly and I being alone, I look to him seriously, "Look Olly, there's obviously some important things that we need to discuss. But for now can we just forget about everything and be civil? At least until later tonight when we can actually talk about things."

He turns from his position in the front seat, his eyes studying my face careful until he agrees with my proposition, "Fine... until tonight."

I see the childish grin begin to seep back onto his face, his eyes warming back up to me.

It scares me how quickly everything around you can shift. Not only are Leonardo's mood swings firing into me every hour, but the domino effect onto the rest of my life around me is constantly crashing in.

The only reassurance I have is the solid relationships between my trusted friends— knowing that I can always fall back onto them. Like the way that Olly can understand and accept my plea without pushing further and he can flip right back into his usual behaviour— it's comforting.

"I was so fucking close to walking in on you butt naked and banging someone," he chuckles teasingly.

I sigh loudly, narrowing my eyes aggressively and sliding out from the car as quickly as I can. Slamming the door behind me, I start to walk as fast as I possible towards the entrance, hearing Olly's footsteps patter behind me in a gentle running formation.

Flipping my head round to face him with a glare, I pick up my speed to try and rid from his advancing figure. I'm unsuccessful when he darts his arm out, gripping onto my bicep to draw me back into him and hitting his chest with a thud before his arms wrap tightly around me and pull me into a warm hug.

"I could never be mad at you forever, you know that right?" he says genuinely whilst I wrap my arms around his back with a smile spread across my face.