36- undercover

Song- Rolling In the Deep by Adele

———————

Nothing but my thoughts for the past nine hours, it's definitely been painful. I've gone through a rollercoaster of emotions and, even after all of that time, I still don't know what to make of the situation I've been thrown into.

I think maybe I'm in shock and that's why I'm so confused on what to think.

I'm definitely a bit more wary and fearful of Leonardo, but the fact that I've known him for nearly two months and he's never done anything more than threaten me, kind of settles my worries. I know it's not safe, I've always compared him to danger, and I know it's stupid of me to not care, but I don't.

For the first few weeks that I moved to New York, I was getting hunted by someone and I still don't know who they were, they could even still be going after me for all I know. Surely that danger compares to this new found danger? There's danger everywhere in life; either you seek it out, or it seeks you.

I mean, it's not really like I have much of an option anyway, I can't exactly just catch a flight back to London and make up some shitty excuse saying I was homesick. No-one would believe that and besides, this is my home now— and the people surrounding me have become my family.

I can't escape it because I'm already locked in, there's no way out. Either I carry on with the flow that life is taking me, or I get left behind. I'm going to go with the first option.

So, when I hear the knock on the front door, just as loud and obnoxious as this morning so that I'm certain it's Leonardo, I stroll through the kitchen to answer it.

Noémi has stayed here the whole day, just hanging out with both me and Olly. I've been trying to act as normal as I can, regardless of the new revelations bounding through my mind. I don't think either of them have noticed that I've been feeling slightly different, I must be able to hide it well.

"Who is it?" I hear Olly shout from the kitchen.

Luckily both of them are sat on the stools in the kitchen otherwise they would be able to see Leonardo's face as he looks down at me from the other side of the door as I open it, with his finger pressed against his lips in a silencing motion.

"Uh- Otis," I call back, turning my head over my shoulder to make sure neither of them have come to look.

I glance back to Leonardo, frowning in confusion as to why I have to lie about him being here, but he just beckons me to come outside and ignores my scepticism.

"Oh..." I hear Olly say, disappointed with who he thinks was just knocking on our door.

"I'm going to go out with him for a couple of hours," I tell Olly, holding eye-contact with Leonardo to make sure I'm saying the right thing, "I'll text you later so you know I'm safe."

There's a pause of hesitation from Olly before he speaks again, in a slightly regretful tone, "Fine, but only because Émi has told me to stop judging your choices in people. Make sure you text me or I will literally hunt you down."

I laugh at his protectiveness, but watching as Leonardo keeps a solid face, impatiently waiting for me to leave the apartment.

"Bye Olly, bye Noémi!" I call out, patting my hand over my trouser pocket to make sure I have my phone.

After hearing them shout goodbye back, I close the door behind me, stepping out into the empty hallway with Leonardo.

I instantly look up to him with a frown, "What the fuck was that about?"