Valentine // CALM

~ Michael is me, but with friends who aren't halfway across the world. I am Michael.

Also, this is dedicated to my babe @-Mashton- since you helped with the names and such :) love you! xx /M~ 

Valentine’s day is closing in and everyone knows. There is no way you can avoid it, not even in the hell hole adults like to call school. You’d think that teachers would at least try to stop what’s going on in the hallways, with so many students feeling bad because they don’t have anyone to spend this day with, but no. The teachers actually encourage it, at least in Michael’s school, and he hates it.

He supposes that it was a good idea at first, having a day where you’d really appreciate the people you love, but somewhere along the way it went wrong and now it’s all about proving how popular you are and taking people you don’t actually care about that much on way too expensive dates just so you don’t come off as a loner. No, Michael’s not saying everybody’s like that, he’s just saying that most of the people in his school are and that it sucks because if you don’t do anything you’ll get laughed at.

And maybe, just maybe, he’s a little bit jealous.

~

“Michael!” Michael sighs and turns around, immediately seeing Ashton pushing his way through the crowded hallway towards him. Already being in a bad mood because of all the pink and red and sparkly shit that seems to be everywhere and that doesn’t get better when he sees the small, purple heart that’s stuck to Ashton’s shoe.

“You’ve got some puke on your shoe.” Michael tells him, watching in amusement as Ashton panics for a moment before actually looking down, only to then look back at Michael, this time looking slightly annoyed.

“man I really don’t understand why you’re so against this whole thing, it’s cute!” he says, grabbing Michael’s arm and dragging him out of the crowded hallway, stopping just outside the girls’ bathroom.

“it’s sickening! It’s all pink and no, it’s disgusting.” Ashton frowns but nods, standing in silence for a few moments before speaking up again.

“well anyway, I need help.” Michael sighs again, knowing that this probably won’t end well for him, and nods, sitting down with his back pressed against the brick wall. Ashton hesitates before sitting down next to him, trying to avoid the dirt that’s covering the floor.

“help with what exactly, if it’s drugs you’re after you’re gonna have to find someone else.”

“Jeez Michael! No, god no. I don’t do drugs and I sure as hell hope you don’t either.”

“Nah.” Michael shrugs, not really lying but not really telling the truth either.

“I need help figuring out where to take Paige tomorrow.” Michael simply stares at Ashton for a while, trying to decide if he should kill Ashton now or humiliate him first. “Listen, I know you want to kill me but Michael, we all know you’re the one who has the best ideas.”

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, Ashton, but out of the four of us, I’m the only one who’s single.” Michael says, sarcasm basically dripping from his voice. “clearly, I don’t have the best ideas.”

“You had a girlfriend though, and from what I remember you took her on an amazing date.” Ashton points out.

“She wasn’t even my girlfriend!” Michael gets on his feet again, glaring at Ashton. “I took her out once as a social experiment for biology.”

“True, but Abigail liked it, didn’t she?”

“I’m pretty sure she didn’t.”

“Come on Mikey, don’t be like this. You had an amazing idea for a date and if it had been any other girl I’m sure you wouldn’t have been single now.” Michael doesn’t bother correcting him, telling him that it doesn’t matter if it’d been the prettiest and nicest girl in the world, he still wouldn’t have ended up with her. “and now I need help because if I’m gonna do this alone, we’ll end up on some shitty restaurant before watching a shitty movie somewhere and at the end of the day she’ll dump me. Please Michael.”