All These Lives // Malum

~ I figured I should start dedicating these to people again, not all of them but every once in a while I'll do it. 

So yeah, this one's dedicaed to @skittlesmalum because you are, without a doubt, my favourite Malum writer out there and I just look up to you and yeah, hi :) 

Also, this is important.

The next one is going to be a soulmate oneshot and I'm thinking of making it a Mashton one, but Cashton is an option as well and I want to know what you guys think. 

So please, comment and let me know if you want it to be

Mashton

or

Cashton

love you guys xx /M~ 

Calum’s never really been a cat person. He doesn’t like cats much at all and has always found dogs to be a much better company. Cats always seem to think they’re better than everyone else, walking around like they own the place and getting pissed whenever you do something they don’t want you to. Dogs just love you unconditionally, they’re loyal and cute and cuddly.

But maybe things would have been different, maybe Calum would have been more of a cat person if it hadn’t been for Michael.

Growing up in a world where hybrids are almost as common as humans, you’d expect Calum to be used to almost everything. But he isn’t. Even though his best friend Luke is a hybrid, Calum’s still having a hard time understanding everything. And then again, Michael isn’t even a hybrid.

No, Michael’s not a hybrid. Michael’s something called a shapeshifter, basically meaning he can turn into a cat whenever he feels like it and then look completely human afterwards, unlike Luke who can’t do much of anything and constantly wears a beanie, hiding his light brown cat ears from the world.

Calum and Michael used to get along really well, having been friends for as long as Calum can remember. The green eyes boy would come by to play with the four year old Calum every day and one day he never went home. Calum didn’t mind having his friend living with them and even though it bothered him that Michael sometimes would disappear for a few days, a small cat roaming around the house at those times, he loved always having someone to play with.

~

He was ten when he finally put the pieces together. He had just started in a new school and had found a friend in a certain, clumsy blonde boy with piercing blue eyes. Growing up, Calum lived in a neighbourhood where hybrids were as rare as polarbears and the only times he’d ever came in contact with them had been when his parents took him into town to get new clothes. Naturally,  Calum found Luke very fascinating, he loved the sound his friend would make whenever he touched his ears, he loved watching Luke run around chasing birds in the park when they went there after school. It was all so new to him, it was a whole new world revealing itself right in front of him, and it gave him a lot of questions.

One night, after tossing and turning in bed for what felt like hours, Calum left the bedroom he shared with Michael and went downstairs to confront his mother. He wanted answers, he wanted to know what was going on. Had they tried to keep this from him or was it just one of those things that never came up in a conversation?

And he got answers, that night he got most of his questions answered. His mother explained how Michael wasn’t a human, nor was he a hybrid. She explained that the cat Calum would sometimes see around the house was Michael, the boy still learning how to control his shapeshifting, something that sometimes would mean he got stuck as a cat for a little while. She explained just how rare people like Michael were, how important it was for Calum to keep this a secret. How that was the reason to why Michael couldn’t go to school with Calum, not when he risked turning at any moment. And when he finally went to bed that night, after just sitting there for a while, thinking about what he’d heard, there was only one question left unanswered. What had happened to Michael’s parents?