The Last Night // Lashton

[TRIGGER WARNING]

~ AN: so this one is pretty special to me because it's based a lot on how I feel and how I've felt those times when I've been there, just about to end everything. I didn't have a friend like this, I didn't have anything to hold on to, but I did and as of right now I'm glad I did because yeah, but I wish there had been someone there for me, someone to help me realise there are things in life worth living for.

Anyway, this is dedicated to @PeachesPeaches because I really love your one-shot's and I'd love to one day be as good as you are on writing. So yeah /M ~

Luke shivers slightly as he waits for someone to open the door he’s standing in front of. It’s dark, it’s cold and it’s raining and he doesn’t have time to be here, but he has to.

“Luke! Oh hello, I didn’t know you were coming over!” he must have zoned out for a moment because suddenly the door’s open and Anne Marie is standing in front of him. “come in come in, we don’t want you getting sick.” she steps aside and he enters the house, closing the door behind him and looking around in the familiar room. He’s spent so many days here, so many nights hidden away in Ashton’s room, hiding under blankets with a flashlight, pretending to be asleep every time they heard someone walk past outside the door. “I’ll get Ashton.”

“No need, I’m here.” they both turn around and there he is. Ashton’s standing in the doorway to his room in nothing more than a pair of track pants. “I didn’t know you would come over Luke, you should have texted me or something.” Luke nods, not knowing what to say, and hopes Ashton won’t push the matter further. “come on, lets to go my room.”

“let me know if you boys need anything.” Luke takes his shoes and jacket off and follows Ashton back to his room. He shoves his hands in his pockets and watches as Ashton picks up a shirt from the floor and pulls it over his head. Luke closes the door and sits down on the floor with his back against the bed. Ashton starts the x-box and hands Luke a controller before sitting down next to him. Luke watches as Ashton chooses multiplayer and doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t say a word even though he knows he shouldn’t stay, that he can’t stay. In some ways it’s better like this, it’s better to spend a couple of hours with Ashton just like he use to, just playing some xbox and not really talking, it’s comforting.

~

A few hours passes and it soon gets pretty hot in the small room, hot enough for Ashton to start considering taking his shirt off again. Luke’s hot as well, Ashton can tell he is, but for some reason he’s kept his hoodie on with the sleeves pulled down over his hands.

“Why don’t you take your shirt off mate? It’s pretty hot in here.” Luke just shrugs and keeps his eyes on the tv, knowing he can’t lie to Ashton. “Come on Luke, I can tell you’re uncomfortable.” Ashton really doesn’t understand why Luke’s making such a fuss about it. And Luke finally looks away from the screen in front of him, he looks over at Ashton and their eyes meet. It’s now or never. He realises that those words hasn’t been as true as they are now, not once in his life has he had this feeling of everything being so...final.

“Ash.” Ashton hums, distracted by his phone, and Luke takes a deep breath. “I didn’t come here to hang out.” there’s something in Luke’s voice that makes Ashton completely forget about his phone and he looks up again, his eyes now meeting a pair filled with tears. “I just came to say goodbye.” it takes Ashton a moment to understand what his friend means and his eyes widen in fear when he does. Luke notices and quickly looks away. “fuck...I didn’t...I didn’t want you to see me cry. Sorry.” his lip is trembling by now and the tears are starting to make their way down his cheeks.

“Lukey.” Ashton scoots over to Luke and wraps his arms around the taller boy, the quiet whine not going unnoticed when he accidentally grabs the younger’s wrist. Without asking he carefully pulls the sleeves of the hoodie up, revealing dozens and dozens of cuts up and down his arms. Now that he knows Ashton can’t believe he didn’t notice it sooner, that he didn’t see the signs. He’s been there himself, he should have known. He should have questioned the slowly growing collection of bracelets, recognized the lies about being cold for what they were. But he didn’t. He assumed Luke, just like their friend Michael, simply had a thing for bracelets.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry I’m sorry.” Luke doesn’t even try to fight the tears anymore, he just hides his face in Ashton’s shirt as sobs rip through his body. “I just wanted to say goodbye, I didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye to you.”

“what about your family?” Ashton tries to think of something, anything that’ll help make Luke realise he doesn’t have to do this and the first thing that comes to mind is the thing that kept him here, his family.

“they say it’s my fault Jack left.” Luke whispers. “they say this is just a phase, that I’ll be okay, that I just need to...to get it together and that I’ll be fine.” he doesn’t look up from Ashton’s shoulder, he doesn’t stop crying even for a second, and Ashton can feel how his tears are slowly soaking the fabric of his shirt but he doesn’t care. All that matters is Luke.

“They don’t know you Luke, not like I do.” Ashton runs his fingers over one of the fading scars close to Luke’s elbow. “They don’t know you at all, not if they treat you like that.”

“I’m so sick of it, I can’t do it anymore.” Luke never expected this, he was just going to make sure Ashton knew he loved him and then he’d leave, knowing Ashton would understand there was nothing he could have done to stop it from happening. He wasn’t supposed to tell him, he wasn’t going to explain and he definitely wasn’t going to make Ashton cry, yet here he is, sitting in Ashton’s lap, and he can feel the tears dripping from Ashton’s chin onto his hair.

“Luke?” Ashton shifts under him, lifting Luke like he’s a small child and making him face him. “please look at me.” Luke hesitates but does as he’s told. “This is the last night you’ll spend alone, okay? I’ll be everywhere you want me to be.” Luke looks away again as another sob makes his body shake. Ashton pulls him closer again, wrapping his arms tightly around the younger boy. “I won’t let go.”

“I don’t... I can’t do it anymore. I have no reason to.” Luke seems unable to stop crying and Ashton would do anything to make him smile again.

“I’ll be your reason why.” he whispers. “just let me help you, let me be your reason why and I promise I’ll be everything you need me to be. Please Luke.” Luke doesn’t answer, he doesn’t know what to say, but he takes Ashton’s hand and lays his head on his chest again. And that’s how they stay for the following hour, until Luke finally stops crying and his breathing evens out, letting Ashton know he’s fallen asleep. When he does, Ashton carefully gets on his feet and places Luke on the bed before laying down next to him, pulling him closer than before. “I won’t let go Luke, I promise I’ll make you happy again.”