There's Nothing You Can Say // Mashton

~ well...yep. I didn't know how to end it okay??

Dedicated to CalumCuteKiwi  :) xx /M~

"I'm going to Woodford." he doesn't give Luke a chance to say hello before he opens his mouth. "I'm going to Woodford, he needs to know that I never meant for this to happen." Luke stands there for a moment unsure of what to say, and Ashton walks past him, into the apartment.

"No, no. He's there for a reason Ashton. Michael Clifford is a murderer."

"So lock him up for life, but killing him doesn't bring back any of the people that he killed." Luke turns around, finally closing the apartment door, and follows Ashton into the kitchen. "it doesn't bring them back, it only adds another person to the list of people who died too soon."

"He pleaded guilty Ashton, waived all the appeals and admitted to numerous more killings." Luke sighs, sitting down by the table.

"I need him to know that I never meant for this to happen!" Ashton says, frustrated. "He needs to know that I tried to stop this. Luke please, you have to have my back in this!"

"No, I don't have your back Ashton, I don't. He's a murderer, he's a scum, he killed people. Wake up!" Ashton doesn't reply, he just turns around and leaves. Luke's his best friend, Luke's supposed to have his back, and he doesn't.

~

The prison smells like bleach, bleach and old milk and Ashton's surrounded by rather terrifying women, all looking like they could be inmates there rather than visitors. He feels their eyes on him as he stands in line, waiting for his turn to talk to the man standing behind a two inches thick glass wall.

"Ashton Irwin, I'm here to see Michael Clifford." he says when it's his turn. The man takes a quick look at him, probably judging him just like the women behind him, before looking down on his notebook.

"you're not on the list. Next!"

"no, wait I wrote to him!" Ashton starts to panic, not knowing what to do if it turns out he's come all this way for nothing.

"Oh yeah, you're that Irwin. He said he didn't want to see you."

"But I have to see him!" Ashton says, quickly taking a look around to make sure no one's paying attention to them. "He's on death row."

"I understand where he is Mr. but I also understand the constitution. Mr. Clifford still has rights, which he has decided to exercise. Next!" Ashton sighs, realising he won't get anywhere here, and looks around again.

"Can I leave him a note?"

"You can try." and with that he's pushed to the side, and he goes to sit down on a bench, pulling out a pen from his jacket pockets, along with his old train ticket. This is his last chance, and he doesn't know what he'll do if he doesn't get to do what he came here for.

~

Ashton's sitting in a cheap hotelroom, trying his best not to look at the stains on the bedspread, with his phone pressed to his ear. He's been trying to call Luke for an hour now, needing to hear the voice of his best friend. Actually, that's not what he needs. What he needs is for someone to make it possible for him to go back in time and change things, make it possible for him to once again climb into bed late at night and feel cold feet pressed to his shins, even colder hands finding their way up under his shirt.

"He doesn't want to see me Luke. He doesn't want to see me and now I don't know what I'm supposed to do." he says to the phone, knowing no one's on the other end to listen. "please call me, I know we're mad at each other but I need you." and when nothing happens he lowers his phone again, only to lift it seconds later when it suddenly starts ringing. "Luke?" but it isn't Luke. Instead, it's a robotic female voice.