I wanna grow old with you // Lashton

~ AN: This is very short and everything but I really loved writing it and yeah. I'm also gonna start dedicating my one-shots to people so this one's dedicated to @DrumsandRoses because I love her works and yeah :) I also have a question for you guys, I've been thinking about making a book with Cashton one-shots based on an album, with one one-shot for each song ya know, so is that something you guys would like/read? Yay or nay? Lots of love /M ~ 

Ashton never thought living apart from someone you love would be this hard.. He knew it would be hard but not like this, and this is only temporary. He never realised how much being away from Luke would affect him, how it would make him feel empty. He never felt like that when he was at work back in Sydney, but then he got to see Luke every night after work. Now they barely get the chance to talk because of the time zones and it’s driving Ashton crazy. Luke’s smile was what made his days better and without it every day just passes by in a blur and the colours seem to have disappeared from his life. Why did he ever let Luke and his boss talk him into moving to LA for a couple of months?

He makes the decision in the bathroom, when he realises he’s been standing there staring at the bar of soap for fifteen minutes wishing it smelled more like the soap Luke uses. They’re thousands of miles apart and he can’t stop thinking about the tall, blonde man that has him giggling like a schoolgirl. He’s amazed by the fact that even though they barely talk anymore, even though they haven’t seen each other for weeks, they’re love seem to be stronger than ever. Somehow it makes it feel right, like the risk they took when he left was worth it, but he also knows they’ve been apart for too long now. So he does the only thing he can think of, he gets dressed and walks over to the room his boss is living in, knocking twice before entering. He doesn’t wait for his boss to let him know whether he has time to talk or not, he just tells him what’s on his mind.

“I can’t do this.”

~

Luke’s just as miserable as Ashton, but it’s not like he can call him and tell him me made a mistake telling Ash to take the job in LA, that he needs him to come back. He pushed him into going, telling him he’d be fine and that it’d be good for them to be apart for a while, that the time they spent apart would make their love grow stronger. He never imagined being without Ashton would hurt this bad. It hurts too bad, he can’t do it any longer. He’s just about to pull out his phone and call Ashton, begging him to come home, when it starts ringing. He pulls it out, expecting it to be his mum wondering what’s taking him so long, he was only going to buy her some milk after all, but it isn’t.

“Ash?”

“Hi Lukey.” his voice doesn’t sound as distant as is normally does when they talk on the phone, it’s almost as if he were back in Sydney, or at least in Australia. “I missed you.” Luke doesn’t really reflect over Ashton’s use of past tense, he’s too happy to hear his voice properly to notice that, to notice anything for that matter. He just stands there, smiling at the cereal boxes on the shelf in front of him, and doesn’t notice the slightly shorter man coming up behind him. “God I missed you.” and suddenly the voice isn’t coming from his phone anymore, suddenly he feels a pair of strong arms being wrapped around his waist and he turns around, eyes growing wide as he recognises Ashton.

“ASH!” he doesn’t care that he sounds like a five year old girl or that the whole store’s staring as he throws himself in his boyfriend’s arms. “What are you doing here? You’re not supposed to be home for another three weeks!” he doesn’t let go of Ashton when he talks, he just hides his face in his neck and breaths in his scent, and oh how he's missed it.

"Well actually..." Ashton is the first to let go, taking a step back and looking up at the man he's loved since he was seventeen. "I came because I have to ask you something" he digs through his pockets before running a hand through his hair. “Or more like tell you something.” He looks around, noticing the small crowd that has gathered around them, before turning his full attention back to Luke. “I was dying inside Luke, being away from you was killing me and it made me realise something.” Luke slowly nods, understanding what Ashton means because he felt the same way, like he was dying. “It made me realise that no matter how much stronger the distance makes us, no matter how much it makes our love grow, I can’t be that far away from you. I had no idea how much you really mean to me, how much I need you to feel alright before I left and I don’t know why I stayed as long as I did.” Ashton laughs at that and runs his fingers through his hair again. “I could go on forever but i’m not going to. What I’m trying to say is that I wanna grow old with you Luke Hemmings. I wanna be there for you, sharing everything you do and I wanna be looking in your eyes every day for the rest of my life. I wanna watch you grow up and become the amazing man I know you will be, I wanna listen to you complaining about your bosses or your friends, I wanna wake up next to you every morning and kiss you every night before we go to sleep. I wanna have stupid fights with you and then make up with you because we both know we can’t stay mad at each other. I wanna be woken up by your snores at night and poke you until you roll over and stop. I wanna start a family with you, I wanna go on silly dates in the park and on holidays and I wanna go to family reunions and be judged because some people haven’t been lucky enough to find someone they love the way I love you and therefore don’t understand. I wanna go to our children's’ wedding with you, I wanna watch you give our daughter away and I wanna watch you act like you’re not crying when you actually are. I wanna be there when you hold our grandchild for the first time, I wanna be the one who assures you that you won’t drop him or her. I wanna be there when you get old and start forgetting things. I wanna die laying in your arms while you tell me about everything we’re going to do together when you join me in heaven.” he pauses, looking at Luke who’s standing in front of him with tear filled eyes looking as beautiful as ever, before dropping to his knees, holding a small red box. “What I’m trying to say, what I want to ask you, is this. Will you, Luke Hemmings, marry me and spend the rest of your life with me?”

“Yes.” Luke’s voice isn’t louder than a whisper but Ashton still hears it and when Luke starts nodding his head he knows he heard him right. “yes yes yes yes I’ll marry you.” Ashton smiles and gets up, walking up to Luke and placing the silver ring on his finger before leaning in to kiss him. Luke immediately kisses back, both of them completely oblivious to the applauding crowd surrounding the cereal aisle and both of them just as eager to start a new life together.