Christmas Without You // Lashton

~ Okay here we go, first of seven Christmas one-shots that I'll (hopefully) post before Christmas (I'm not promising everything since school is very unpredictable and there's a lot going on at home). This one is based on the song by OneRepublic and I hope you like it xx /M ~ 

Another year, another Christmas going to be spent without the love of his life. Luke should probably be used to it by now, after all it's their fourth year together and out for four Christmases Ashton hasn't been there for more than one, always because of stupid band-things and delayed flights. And it's not only Christmases he's missed, Ashton has been away for birthdays, valentine's days and at least one Australia day.

It's not that he doesn't make up for it, no Ashton really tries to make it feel right whenever he comes for a visit. He's arranged romantic dinners for the two of them, he's taken Luke on road trips and tried his hardest to make it feel like Christmas even though he missed it by a few months. But Luke can't help but feel weird, it doesn't feel right celebrating Christmas in April. It doesn't feel the same when no one else is in the Christmas spirit, when there aren't any Christmas decorations anywhere and no Christmas music being played. He'd never even dream of saying that though, knowing it'd really hurt Ashton, that he'd feel even worse for being away.

Luke is sitting on his bed, leaning against the wall as he's trying to focus on the book he's got resting against his knees. He isn't actually reading though, he's been on the same page for the past hour, and he keeps glancing up at the clock standing on his bedside table. It's almost midnight, in just a few minutes it'll be Christmas eve and when he wakes up in a few hours he'll be expected to be happy and smiley, as if he won't be the only one missing his significant other as the family sits down for a lunch that'll go on so long it turns into a dinner.

He watches the clock go from 23:59 to 00:00 and then he gives up trying to read, folding the corner of the page he's on before placing the book on the floor next to the bed before laying down, closing his eyes and eventually drifting off to sleep.

~

On the other side of the world Ashton is sitting in his hotel room, also watching the clock to see when it strikes one, letting him know that it's officially Christmas back home. He's got his laptop in front of him, ordering the last few things and making sure everything will run smoothly once the whole thing starts, which should be in just a few hours. He needs everything to be perfect, he needs everything to work out just the way he's planned for it to, and there's no reason for it not to.

~

Luke feels like he's only just closed his eyes when he's woken from his sleep and had he gotten a chance to check the time he would have realise that that is in fact the case. It's only half past three as he's being pulled down the stairs, out of the house and into a car, still half asleep. He's struggling to keep his eyes open as he's being driven through the all but abandoned Sydney, not even realising where they're going. It's not until they're walking through the airport he wakes up enough to question this whole thing but by the time he's formulated a question he's being handed his passport and a plane ticket and more or less pushed onto the plane. He's running on autopilot as he finds his seat and sits down, planning on asking a flight attendant where they're going, and fastens his seatbelt before somehow falling asleep again.

~

By the time the plane goes in for landing Luke is awake, for real this time, and ever since he woke up he's tried to figure out why he's there, why on earth he's been sent to London now of all times. It's Christmas eve, Christmas day back home, and he's always been told that Christmas is a time to be spent with family. It all falls into place once he leaves the plane though, because standing there in the cold, holding a warm jacket in his hands as the wind pulls at his own clothes, is Ashton.