#16 * Checkmate

"Are you ready for a match brother?" Athena asked, walking up to Ares with a chessboard.

She had challenged him earlier today and he had foolishly agreed.

"Sure. I hope you're ready to lose though, because I've been working on my skillset." The war god smirked.

"Oh have you? You almost have me impressed." His sister chuckled.

As the two of them were setting up the board the victory goddess appeared out of thin air.

"Ooh, you guys playing a game?" Nike asked.

"What does it look like?" Ares grumbeled.

The angel ignored him and leaned on Athena's shoulders, stealing a quick kiss.

"Don't tell me you're going to judge. That's so not fair." The eldest son of Zeus pointed at both goddesses in front of him.

"Actually it is. There is only one thing Nike loves more than me and that's a victory. Whoever is winning gets her favor." Athena pointed out.

It was true. It was also the only thing the daughter of Zeus didn't like about her girlfriend. The wisdom goddess and the angel might be lovers, but the former quickly found out that didn't matter when somebody else was winning.

One time the goddess and her troops had been struggeling on a muddy battlefield. They could've used Nike's help at that point, that little spark of hope, but the opposing side held the advantage so the angel was nowhere to be found.

"Whatever." Ares muttered.

"I'll beat your a** anyway."

Since Athena played with the white pieces she got the first move. She moved one of her pawns forward, creating a path for her other pieces.

The goddess loved chess. It was one of the few games that still kept challenging her, because each game was different. Most of the game depended on the opponent you were playing against and the choices they made.

But even chess had only so many possibilities. Most of the time Athena knew her opponents too well. But she liked making them believe they would actually win.

From what the goddess knew her brother had a bold style. He liked to take any piece he could. The fewer the pieces of his opponent on the board the better Ares got.

The son of Zeus smirked when he snatched one of his sisters horses of the board.

The war god hadn't lied. He had been working on his skillset. His playing had balanced out a little, but still he liked to steel as many pieces as he could.

Nike was very invested in the game. Both deities in front of her were playing a defensive game. Athena waiting for the right moment to strike and Ares trying to read what his sister was planning.

After a while the angel spotted a certain rythme on the board. She couldn't believe her eyes. There was no way. Ares was so close to winning. There was no way Athena would be so sloppy.

The wisdom goddess had left her king in the open as her queen and tower were on their way to Ares' king.

Ares had noticed Athena's lack of defense and started moving his pieces towards it.

"Check." He said, moving his bischop.

With a raised brow Nike watched as Athena moved her king. She didn't want to admit it, but Ares was definitly holding the advantage here.

The victory goddess rose to her full length, stepping away from Athena and standing behind Ares.

She hated the steel gaze that followed her. She knew this hurt Athena, but no matter how much she loved her, she couldn't make exceptions. Especially not for her.

Athena moved a pawn forward. It reached the edge of the board. She switched it for her second tower. Ares immediately stole the tower away again.

"Stupid move." He remarked.

"Perhaps." The goddess of strategies smirked.

A moment later she snatched the bischop that had taken her tower without mercy, leaving only her brother's king, her king, her queen and her tower on the board.

"What are you waiting for? Get back here." Athena winked at her girlfriend.

Nike shook her head. Of course she did this. Of course she was planning this all along. With a roll of her eyes and a smile she walked back to her girlfriend.

A couple of merciless moves later the game was over.

"Check mate." Athena said as she pushed over Ares's king for dramatic effect.

Ares grumbled at the pair of goddesses in front of him.

"I hate you." He said with venomous words.

Athena didn't seem bothered at all. She won, her angel had her arms wrapped around her shoulders again. Her brother hated her... Life was exactly as it should be.

"Right back at you." She smiled as the war god flashed himself away.