#90 * Little sister

"It's not fair." A young Artemis stated, crossing her arms over her chest, a clear look of disapproval on her face. Athena and Nike shared a look. The worry was evident on the angel's face while the former seemed to be wearing a mask, seemingly unaffected.

"You're taking my only sister away from me."

"Artemis-" Nike started, wanting to touch her shoulder, but the younger deity stepped away from her, clinging to her older sister's leg.

Athena put a reassuring hand on her head, getting her long fingers through her younger sister's hair. The young girl had only been on Olympus for half a decade, but already the two sisters had become rather close. They felt like no one else quite understood them better than the other, seeing as they were both situated in a male dominated domain and had no interest in parties and appearances.

"It's not like that little sister." Athena's voice stated, but Artemis didn't believe her.

"It's not true!" She'll lead you into war again and who knows when I'll see you again."

"Little one" The wisdom goddess said with a stern voice.

"It's my job to go out there amongst the men and bring them home victorious."

The young goddess of the hunt buried her face in the skirt of her sister's dress.

"You have to stay." A muffled voice responded.

Athena sighed, sharing another look with her girlfriend. She seemed pained at Artemis' reaction. Nike was fond of the younger goddess because she had such a fiery young spirit. Artemis however did not always return that love. More often than not she saw her as the woman who was trying to come in between her and her sister.

"Asking that of me would be the equivalent of me asking you to stay home from the hunt." Athena said.

The eldest daughter of Zeus placed both her hands on her younger sister's shoulders, crouching in front of her so they were the same height.

"Would you listen to me if I told you you can no longer do the very thing that you were born to do?"

The wisdom goddess tried to catch her little sister's eyes, but the young girl kept avoiding her.

"What if I took away your bow and arrows? What would you do?"
That caught Artemis' attention. Silver eyes finally locked with gray ones and Athena could clearly see the shock on the young goddess' face.

"I would be very angry and upset." The youngest daughter of Zeus relented in a hushed tone.

"The same happens when I don't go to war. You can't hold a war god back, no matter how hard you try. War is a necessity for change little one." Athena said, gently wiping a stray tear from Artemis' cheek.

"But when we get the chance to rage across a battlefield, you'll find us all the more eager to return."

Artemis saw a small smile tugging at her sister's lips, one that was usually reserved only for her and the victory goddess. The younger goddess moved her gaze from her sister to the angel standing right behind her. She seemed worried and hurt. The goddess of the hunt was still wary of her but asked "You'll keep her safe right? Nothing happens to her?"

Nike gave a silent nod, not able to bind words to a promise she was unlikely to be able to keep. War brought pain, both physically and mentally, there was no way she could ensure Athena's safety, no matter how much she wanted to at this moment. After all, not even gods were impervious.

"Promise me!" Artemis insisted.

"War is dangerous, little one. I cannot make such a promise. Neither can I favor specific people on the battlefield." Nike said, barely above a whisper.

The hurt in her voice was evident. She didn't want to let the young goddess down again, but she also didn't want to lie to her. The wisdom goddess could tell her girlfriend wasn't far off from letting the hurt spill from her eyes in the form of tears.

"Athena is a goddess, she should always win!" Artemis countered.

"You know it doesn't work like that sister." Athena stated in return.

"We're Olympians. Father says we are all powerful and that we always win."

Artemis shrugged her older sister's hands from her shoulders and ran off. Athena knew that calling after her would be no use. She decided she would use the time she had to prepare what she could before she left. When Artemis had calmed down, she would try to talk to her again. The wisdom goddess rose to her full length and took her girlfriend in her arms. Nike rested her head on Athena's shoulder as she let the tears fall freely. She felt her girlfriend's hand rubbing circles on the small of her back, while the other hand gently stroked through her hair.

"I'm so sorry." Nike whispered.

"None of that." Athena said sternly.

"Artemis is a daughter of our father, she has a quick and destructive temper, but she's also a daughter of Leto. That temper will die down and she will see reason. Her initial emotions usually stand in the way of that at first, but when the storm is over she will understand." 

------------------------------

I thought it might be fun to play a bit with Athena and Artemis being inseprable. I might do some more shorts containing that bond or kinda exploring it (with Nike in the picture as well of course!). It seems like something that's stuck in my mind. Also I was listening to dusk till dawn while writing and it seemed to fit the vibe perfectly. Anyways, happy reading and have a nice day!

- Athena