#37 * Losing Game

There was a certain tenseness as all of the gods stood on the edge of Olympus, overlooking the world bellow.
Twelve Olympians, each sunken into their own thoughts of how this would end.

Down bellow raged an incredible storm by the name of Typhon. All that came in his path got blown to bits. The gods had faught him before. That didn't meant they looked forward to it though. The last time they'd faught the monster it was all they could do not to lose.

As Athena looked down on the world she wondered what the best way would be to start the attack. Knowing her brother he'd plunge straight into the battle. Maybe it was enough to distract the monster, so she and the other gods could come from diffrent directions.

She looked to her left and saw Nike standing there. But the angel was tense and her usual golden glow was dim. Athena had a bad feeling about this battle.

Next to her Nike knew this battle was a lost cause. As goddess of victory she knew the odds of the gods being victorious were unbelievably small. She couldn't stay here much longer and the gods beside her knew that.

She was about to step away from them when her wrist was caught by a hand. The touch send a warmth through her entire arm. When she turned to see where it came from she saw the wisdom goddess with a stern face.

"Not yet angel." She said.

Athena's face read 'don't you even dare' but her eyes said 'please, I can't do this without you'.

The duality of the daughter of Zeus had always been something the victory goddess hated. It's like she couldn't decide how she felt. It was confusing and infuriating.

Right now for example, Nike didn't know whether Athena wanted her to stay because of the battle or because she loved her.

"If all the gods are ready, we should start the attack. We can't let Typhon destroy anymore than he already has." Zeus said.

Nike felt the grip around her wrist tighten even so slightly.

"Stay." She heard Athena say.

The angel just nodded. She didn't say anything. She didn't want to make promises she knew she couldn't keep.

"Let's do this." Hermes said with devious smirk.

"Yes, let's kill the punk!" Ares roared.

With a loud battle cry the god of war charged, not caring who was or wasn't with him. One after the other the gods jumped of the edge and took the form of various animals.

Athena recognized Artemis in the form of a falcon and Poseidon in the form of a stallion running towards the monster in the distance.

"Watch over us." The wisdom goddess said.

She kissed the cheek of the angel and jumped over the edge herself. As the daughter of Zeus fell her eyes lit up and her body started morphing into the body of an owl. Soon enough she too was on her way to Typhon.

Nike watched as the wisdom goddess quickly caught up with eagle Zeus. They seemed to communicate somehow. Then they split apart. Each going one way around the monster.

The angel saw the owl morph back into Athena. With a daring attack she landed on Typhon's shouler and planted her spear in his shoulder.

The monster let out a loud roar that sounded more like the sky was collapsing onto the world. A black goo came out of the wound and covered Athena.

The angel decided then and there that when this was over she'd let her girlfriend shower multiple times before she came near her again.

For a while the victory goddess watched. She stayed like Athena had asked of her. But with every minute that passed the urge to leave got bigger. This was not a battle the gods could win. Not in these conditions at least.

By now Demeter, Hermes and Dionysus were already beaten out of battle. And because of that, they missed Apollo too.

The only one truly in his element was Ares. He kept charching and hitting the monster in various places. If it weren't for him and Athena Nike would've left an hour ago.

The wisdom goddess had never felt as alive and aware as she did in this moment. All her senses had sharpened. She was running next to Artemis as they charged for the next attack. But before they could finish what they started, Artemis got swooped up and slammed back by Typhon's hand.

The goddess of the hunt got thrown back several metres and left a decent crater. It took everything Athena had to keep running and finish the attack. She hated the fact that she couldn't go back and see how her sister was doing.

The only comfort the wisdom goddess took strength out of was that if she had gone to check on Artemis, her younger sister would've scolded her for stopping the attack.

Even just imagining it was enough to get a small smile on Athena's face. It gave her the power surge she needed to catch up with Ares and match her moves to his. Because up until now, they seemed to be the only ones that were the least bit effective.

Nike stepped away from the edge. As much as she loved the fact that her girlfriend had finally found her flow and as much as she wanted to assure the war gods' victory she couldn't.

It would be against ancient law and she'd be stripped of her divine powers if she broke any of these laws.

'Watch over us.' The voice of Athena repeated itself in her mind.

With a single tear rolling down her cheek the angel left the battlefield.