#76 * Owlsitter

Idea by FireAlphaWolf, written by me

------------------------------

Nike's POV:

I got an Iris message. 

'Why would that be weird Nike?'

Well because it's from Athena and she normally likes to keep things face to face. This either means it's urgent or that she's messing  with me. The latter is usually not the case, although it has happened before.

A bunch of emotions rushed through my body at the same time. Affection, confusion, worry, excitement,...

When it connected my girlfriend appeared. She seemed in a hurry, she was wearing her armour and had a worried look on her face. 

"Urgent call of duty?" I asked, trying to keep the mood light.

"Afraid so yes." She said, but never once looking at me. 

She was searching for something behind the mist.

"Is there anything you need?" I asked, curious for why she was calling me like this.

"Yes actually, can you watch my owls while I'm away?"

"Can I what?"

I loved my girlfriend, I really did, but me and owls? It's just not a good match. I mean sure they're pretty incredible, but they also feel arrogant. Especially Athena's favorite, Dexton. He knows he's her favorite and he will stop at nothing to flaunt it. Definitely more so towards me. 

"Look, I know this isn't your thing and I promise I wouldn't be asking this if it wasn't incredibly important to me. They just cannot be left alone right now and I really, really have to go." Athena explained.

Gods I hated it when she did this. I'd understand and I'll do it anyway, even if it meant I was walking into my personal hell. I tell you, taking care of three owls is a pain in the butt.

"But they really don't like me." I whined.

"Especially Dexton."

"Nonsense. They just like teasing you that's all." 

Athena seemed to have found what she was searching for, seeing as she finally looked at me.

"Besides, there is no one else I trust enough that I can ask in such short notice. They're either going with me or aren't available."

"What makes you think I'm free to babysit those feathered bullies?" I asked.

"Nike." My girlfriend raised a brow and sighed.

"Don't call them that. Besides, what were you doing? Watching a match of whatever sport that currently holds your interest, deciding who will win?" 

"Just because I'm not an Olympian doesn't mean my job is not important." I stated, slightly hurt by her comment.

"I never said that darling. I'm just saying, you can do that here too. It's just for the afternoon, I promise I'll think of something by this evening." Athena said, giving me a gentle smile.

"Fine. But you owe me once you get back." I grumbled.

"Not a problem." She winked.

"I'll see you soon angel. I love you." 

"I love you too." I muttered with slight reluctance. 

Athena shook her head with a smile and waved her hand through the mist, disrupting the call.