#17 * Until I Found You

All around Nike and Athena celebratory cheers rose up. The latter picked up her girlfriend and kissed her deeply. They did it! They won!

"I love you." The wisdom goddess smiled.

"I love you too." The angel replied.

The daughter of Zeus put the angel down and turned to her soldiers behind her.

"Tend to the wounded and prepare the dead for their journey to the underworld." Athena ordered.

"Captain, I want you and a squad coming with me and Nike. We'll look for any survivors in the town nearby." She added.

"Yes ma'am." Captain Rexhenor saluted and left to go get his squad.

"You really wish to go into town now?" Nike asked.

"Not really, but we have to look for survivors and help them rebuild the things they've lost. We have to carry out the proper rites for the dead. It's the least we can do after using their home as a battlefield." Her girlfriend frowned.

Athena hated how so many innocents had been brought in danger because of a stupid fight between her father and his brothers. This time Zeus and Hades had been teaming up against poseidon. Naturally she stood with her father.

If you know a little about the sea god you'll know he doesn't exaclty go down without a fight. He definitely proved that once again and at a high price as well.

A little later Athena, Nike, captain Rexhenor and about 8 other soldiers were headed into town. Around them houses were still smoking and the smell of burned flesh still corrupted the air.

"Man... The artillery sure got them good." One of the soldiers mumbled.

Nike couldn't help but agree. She knew the cost of a victory better than anyone, but she hated walking in places like these. You could feel and see the lost souls dwelling around. It gave the angel the creeps. She just wanted to get this over with so she could celebrate with the others.

The victory goddess glanced beside her. Athena didn't seem bothered at all. Nike knew better. She knew the wisdom goddess had seen enough battlefields to know this is how it always ended. A bunch of rubble and losses on both sides. She also knew that no matter how many battlefields her lover had seen it never got easier to walk through the bodies and ruins.

Suddenly Athena stopped them all with a hand sign.

"Did you hear that?" She asked.

Immediatly the soldiers were on high alert. They would never question their goddess. Each of them moving quielty to stand around the goddesses. Everybody knew they were capable of handeling themselves, but that woudln't stop the soldiers from giving their lives for the pair behind them.

With handsigns the wisdom goddess told her soldiers to stay alert and move forward. Soundless the squad did as they were ordered. Every corner was covered. Again they were stopped by the daughter of Zeus.

"Captain, please tell me you heard that." She said.

"I did my lady. Someone is definitely following us." Rexhenor acknowledged.

"I think it came from inside." He continued.

"Move aside." Athena ordered.

The soldiers parted for her the way the sea does for Poseidon. The goddess stepped forward towards a house.

"Cover all entrances. Rexhenor and Nike with me. Make sure you don't find yourself alone." She continued.

The trio entered the building. Nike stayed a little closer to Athena. Outside is one thing actually entering one of the destroyed houses was a completely other and terrifying thing.