#88 * Don't Tell the kids (part 1)

Requested by amazoncrazysloth

Based in PJO universe. In case you don't know what it is, perhaps research or read? But what are you doing here if you like Greek myth and haven't read PJO??

- Athena

------------------------------

Piper walked passed the great house on her way back to the Aphrodite cabin. As she passed her eyes were drawn to the porch where Chiron was talking with two women.

Chiron didn't normally have women over at his porch so her interest was immediately sparked. She hid right underneath them, careful to keep her head tucked so they wouldn't see her.

"Look, I understand you don't want to risk the dangers of losing these amazing kids and their wonderful talents, but you know we can't go directly to him. The ancient laws keep us from interfering ourselves." A female voice said.

It sounded a bit deeper, but also like she knew what she was talking about. It reminded her of her dear friend Annabeth.

"I'm not suggesting you do my lady. I'm just saying that without a prophecy I won't be sending any of these kids anywhere."

Chiron sounded slightly defensive of his demigods. Piper figured she would be too after the last ten years. She hadn't been around for the titan war, but she didn't exactly mind. Gaea and her giants had been plenty for her. She could understand why the centaur wasn't keen on sending any of them on a quest without the slightest bit of guidance.

"But imagine their glory!" A second feminine voice asked.

"What good is glory if they die?" The centaur replied.

"They're not just your soldiers, they are your children. Do you really not care what happens to them?"

Silence. Piper raised her head a little so she could see, hoping furiously that none of the people at the table would see her.

The woman on the left had a face like a mask. No emotion, as if she was made of stone. She placed a hand on the right woman's arm. She seemed more hurt by the statement.

"Of course we do." The left one said.

"But in the end we will always outlive them. We cannot get attached the way a normal parent would. They might as well die serving a better cause."

"So letting them die a gruesome death sounds better than letting them live?"

"Only for a monster to come by and eat them? That less gruesome for you?" The right one snapped.

Chiron's jaw clenched.

"That's not fair lady Nike." He said, clearly trying to keep his calm.

Raging out against a goddess was never a good idea. They might seem kind on the outside, but they could be just as vicious as a poisoned blade. Especially the two in front of him. Both of them seasoned warriors, trained and wired to sacrifice everything for the succes of their mission.

"What is not fair is that there is no other way. But life is not fair old friend, especially those cursed with immorality. Nike is right, whether they die on a battle field, a monster, sickness or old age, it does not matter. They die anyway. We cannot stop to mourn every loss as immortals for if we did we would never feel anything but pain."

"Lady Ath-"

"No. The sacrifice of few can save many in the long run. It will save all of us a great deal of pain and loss."