#64 * Victory

"Are you ready to go kid?" Zeus asked Alexia.

The 8 year old nodded and jumped up and down.

"Have you ever ridden a chariot before?" He added.

The girl shook her head, equally excited.

Zeus shared a look with Nike who merely chuckled.

"She's your daughter and she's never stood in a chariot before?" The king of the gods asked.

"Not like she could actually see over the edge before so there really wasn't any point in it." The angel justified.

Zeus was in an unusual chipper mood. Nike had to work today, basic charioteer and handing out victory stuff, but it was a little different in the sense that she would be handing a victory to her girlfriend today.

The thunder god had insisted that he and Alexia come along. It wasn't odd to have the king come along, he liked to keep an eye on what she did from time to time. But asking Alexia to come along was something entirely new.

Not that you'd hear the angel complain. She didn't mind showing her daughter what her job was like. Besides the girl had been split from her other mom for a good six months now. She missed her, so why not take her along and make her girlfriend's victory that much sweeter?

"I suppose that's a fair reason. Anyway, we should go, we can't miss it now can we?"

Zeus' deep laughter rang in Nike's ears. He and Alexia stepped in the chariot behind her. The king of the gods had his granddaughter on his arm. Alexia had her arms wrapped around his neck.

"Mommy, do you always get to feel the wind blow through your hair?" The little girl asked, enjoying how the wind spirits played with her own hair.

The victory goddess smiled. What she wouldn't give to see her daughter's radiant smile right now. Alas, the only downside that came with being charioteer, eyes always on the sky ahead. Although hearing Alexia's laughter allowed her to picture it.

"Yes, always." The angel responded to her daughter's question.

"And do you always have such a wonderful view?"

"Yes, always." She repeated.

"Granddad, can I be your charioteer one day?" Alexia asked.

"That depends. Maybe if you ever get better than your mother I'm willing to think about it." Zeus winked.

Nike didn't want to but her competitive nature bubbeled up inside her stomach. She was the best, in everything. Why else would she be a goddess of victory? She shook her head and repressed the feeling. She was not about to compeet with her own daughter.

'Not yet.' Her mind whispered.

The angel ignored it. Besides, they were approaching the battlefield. The beauty of being a goddess, travelling took as long as you wanted it to take.

"Bossman, you might want to make sure my daughter stays clear of any flying projectiles. Athena isn't quite there yet on her victory. Her final assault is going in... Right about... Now."

The moment the words had left Nike's mouth arrows flew around her head. She steared clear of them. The angel threw a quick glance over her shoulder to see the Alexia was still safe and sound in Zeus' arms, although she did seem a bit shaken.

"Still want to be a charioteer kid?" Zeus chuckled slightly at her bewildered expression.

"Do people always fire at you when you're a charioteer?" Alexia asked.

"Depends on where your destination is." Nike replied honestly.

"Charge!" Athena's voice rang through the air.

That meant only one thing. The enemies' defenses were broken. The wisdom godess and her men had full control over the battlefield.

"Is that mom?" Alexia questioned.

"It sure is." The victory goddess smirked.

"Wow..." Her daughter breathed.

"Cool isn't it?" Zeus chuckled.

Alexia nodded, apparently at a loss for words. She saw her mom draw her spear and with Aegis in her other hand she raged across the battlefield.

"Mommy, is she winning?"

"Oh yes darling." Nike said smugly.

When it was finally safe, the angel let the chariot land on the battlefield where men were cheering. They all stood around their patrones, bathing in her strength.

The moment the chariot touched the ground the men formed two lines, one on each side. At the end the wisdom goddess stood, leaning on her spear, with a lopsided smirk.

Not once in her immortal lifetime had Athena expected to see her father, girlfriend and daughter to be right there at the end of the battle.

"Alexia, come here for a sec." Nike said.

Zeus put her down and the girl stood next to her mommy. The victory goddess crouched down and whispered something in her daughter's ear. She summoned a laurel crown and handed it to the girl.

Alexia gave Athena a hesitant glance, then looked back to Nike who nodded and smiled. The girl took a deep breath, turned around and ran through the wall of soldiers straight towards her mom.

The wisdom goddess threw her spear and shield to the ground and crouched down to pick up her little girl. They hugged each other tight.

"I missed you so much monkey." Athena whispered in her daughter's ear.

"I missed you too mom." Alexia smiled.

Then she seemed to remember her mommy asked her to do something for her. The girl pulled away a little and placed the laurel crown she was holding on her mom's head.

"Mommy says you won." Alexia stated, her smile never wavering.