chapter 30

❝she's a bit secretive❞

it was promptly midnight and marri should've been asleep three hours ago, but she had forced herself to stay awake as she actually found it really hard to call her secret angel.

she would've texted him, but then her father would've asked who she was messaging or just straight up gone through her texts, and she obviously didn't want that.

it was hard being a four year old and having your father or someone else constantly watch you because they underestimate one's abilities.

"I mean come on!! I'm gojō marri for goodness sake!", marri quietly whined, wearing headphones that connected to her phone as she was facetiming getō, who just chuckled.

"you sure do take after your father's attitude", getō commented.

"really?? I think we're quite different. like he thinks a lot more than I do, and I just do stuff without thinking. he calls my actions rash", marri murmured, laying on her stomach as she was hiding under her blanket.

the little girl's phone was propped up against her pillow as she also brought a little light under her blanket, helping her see better.

"oh trust me. when your father was in his teenage years, he was way worse. he'd forget to put the curtain up when exorcising curses, he'd talk back to our teacher at the time: yaga-sensei, and he'd just do things on a whim. though to be fair, I wasn't any better", getō slightly chuckled.

"ohhhh!! so you two were the school troublemakers! no wonder auntie shōko has such terrible eye bags. I bet you both worried her so much she couldn't sleep", marri teased, to which getō had just shrugged.

"speaking of shōko, how is she? nanami too", the male inquired, sipping some freshly brewed tea as he combed through his dark locks with his free hand.

"oh, they're both very good! uncle nanamin just left for work again, so he won't be able to celebrate the new years with us, but I heard I'll be seeing the kyoto students and the kamo and zenin clan", marri excitedly explained.

"doesn't the gojō and zenin clan have bad blood or something? I remember hearing him complain about it all the time", getō confusingly asked.

"mhm! but I wanted to see who they are and make friends with them. it's a new year which means a new beginning", marri positively said.

"I don't think..."

"anyways, would you like to see the picture I drew of my curse friends? I sent you a picture, but no worries, I'll delete our conversation later", the little girl smartly assured.