CHASE| 1

Struggling to catch my breath, my eyes chaotically scan the surroundings. It's pitch black, and all I see are countless trees towering over me.

I have been running for what seems like an eternity. Thighs aching, I begin to slow down, constantly looking behind my shoulder, wondering if I finally lost my predator.

With a subtle feeling of safety, I slump down the nearest tree trunk, pondering my next move.

There is this deep sensation in the pit of my stomach, a gut instinct, to keep moving forward into the abyss of the forest. Yet, my best friend's warning echoes in my head as I sit on the cold forest floor.

Holding my head in my hands, I replay the events that unfolded before getting into this predicament.

Earlier in the day, I was in my high school graduation ceremony. I felt proud of my accomplishment, but sadness lingered over the absence of my parents during this crucial moment.

The loneliness quickly dissipates when my best friend, Crystal, practically jumps on me, squealing.

Taken off guard by Crystal's sudden embrace, I try to regain my balance. Crystal is by far the best-looking girl I have ever seen. She has tan skin, hazel eyes, and is an impressive height of 5'10.

It is quite remarkable that I managed not to fall under Crystal, being only 5'2. I pat Crystal's back to calm her. "Why are you so excited?"

Despite our current location and accomplishments, I knew better than to believe Crystal's current enthusiasm was solely a result of our graduation. Crystal couldn't care less about our graduation. In fact, I was relieved when I found out that Crystal managed to turn in her extra credit in time to graduate.

Crystal releases me from her embrace but places her hands on my shoulders. She shook me with each word.

"They said yes! You can finally visit me, Lilly."

Surely, Crystal could not mean that I was able to visit her home. Crystal and I are part of two neighboring communities.

Valley Forbes is the community I reside in. It is a small, rural town, easily missed.

On the outskirts of Valley Forbes, there is a vast forest. However, I cannot describe it, no Forbes townsfolk can.

The most important rule that Valley Forbes has is never to trespass on the Big Green territory. The only people allowed into the Big Green are those native to the land like Crystal.

For centuries the Big Green and Valley Forbes have had a stable and working relationship. Many of the children from the Big Green attend school in Valley Forbes, while the Big Green community helps provide produce and other natural resources.

Forbes townsfolk have always been told that the Big Green contains many dangers, among them wild animals. Only those born into the Big Green can handle this unknown terrain. No one questions the reasoning, but I always wondered.

It was hard to grow up with Crystal. Sharing every moment with her, opening myself, and integrating Crystal into my life, knowing that I would never be one hundred percent in hers.

Still unconvinced, I ask, "Visit you where?"

Realizing my doubt, Crystal continued shaking me, certain that each shake would allow her words to penetrate my mind.

"You can come to my house tomorrow. I asked the town head for permission."

A smile formed on my face as the doubts quickly dissolved. Perhaps, the smile also has a lot to do with the rush of blood going into my head because Crystal's shakes did not lessen.