SLUMBER| 22

Ethan

I do not want to overwhelm Lilly with too much information, but I cannot lie to her. Well, I can, but she is able to detect our lies. It will be pointless.

When she asked us over the information the elders gave us, Joshua and I have no choice but to tell her the whole truth. I can see her instantly becoming overwhelmed.

I want to console and touch her. However, I restrain myself. I have just marked Lilly without her permission. She didn't have a say in the matter, and I feel bad about it.

The last thing I want is to be compared to Joshua, but I give her a reason to do just that.

I couldn't help it. She was going to choose Joshua over me. I know it had to do with the mark. She could feel Joshua more, and vice versa. I yearn for that connection with Lilly.

I was not going to lose Lilly based on a technicality. This is going to even the playing field.

After informing Lilly of everything plus earlier incidents, I do not find it odd that she asks for time on her own. Joshua and I agree to give her all the time she needs. We will wait for her call.

I hate being in the same room as Joshua. Joshua is always all over Lilly and reminding me of their 'moment' in the forest.

I am not going to let this get the best of me. I am never one to back down. I am upset about Lilly and Joshua, but I realize things are not as black and white.

I know she didn't mean to betray me. I also am aware of the great influence a mate bond can have over an individual. It must have been very hard for Lilly not being able to understand as to why she couldn't control herself with Joshua.

I am sure she thought the worst of herself. I did, when I smelled Joshua's scent mixed with hers. After talking to the elders, it is clear to me that Lilly couldn't help it. This is beyond us.

She was far greater and nobler than what I have imagined. To think, that my mate is the reincarnation of the moon goddess. If this did not prove how worthy she was to be my mate and my pack's Luna, then the fact that her undying love for her past mate transcended time for a second chance, should be proof enough.

I must be her past love. We are destined. I am not worried like Joshua about Lilly's new powers. She will not hurt us. She will never put me, Crystal, or Josh at risk. I am sure of it.

Ten minutes pass since I leave Lilly to her thoughts. She has not call us in yet. Joshua leaves temporary to make sure his pack has settled for the night.

I am waiting patiently by the door when I begin to feel really unsettled. I want to check on Lilly, but I promised to give her space. Five more minutes pass, and the smell of blood became a lot more potent.

I notice the smell of blood when we left Lilly, but I know it is a result from the mark. Nonetheless, the smell is a lot stronger. Given that I marked her, I try sensing Lilly, but the connection is fainter than a few minutes ago.

I call out her name through our new mind link, but there is no response. Something is wrong. I knock on the door, hearing no response.

When I open the door, the smell of blood is immense. I notice the smell is getting stronger around Lilly in her bed. I walk toward her, noticing her bed covers.

They are saturated with blood. I run toward Lilly, seeing two prominent slashes on her wrists.

No. No. No. Why Lilly? Why?!

I instantly apply pressure on her wrists. I link the hospital staff to come immediately. Within seconds, the room is full of staff.

She is so pale and cold. I hear the doctor yell out orders left and right. Lilly is in danger. Then, I hear the worst sound I have ever listened to.