PROPOSITON| 20

Surrounded by machines, I wake up in the small community hospital. Feeling a heavy weight on my being, I struggle to scan my body. I peek inside my hospital gown, and notice my body covered in bandages, especially around my chest and shoulder.

I appear as if I have returned from a mighty battle. Struggling through the unbearable pain, I lightly lift myself up to a sitting position. It feels like the hardest thing I had done up to date. I observe my surroundings, and no one is near my side, not even Crystal.

I do not blame anyone. I understand that I deserve to be alone. I feel like the worst person on the planet and do not fault anyone for thinking the same way.

I think back on Ethan's face. I will never forget his facial expression when I was unable to deny Joshua's accusations. I cannot, even if I want to. I hurt Ethan bad. This is inexcusable.

Then, there is my feelings for Joshua. I do not appreciate that he denied me the courtesy to pull Ethan aside to discuss things in private. I find his actions unnecessary. There was no point to cause a scene in front of everyone.

Come to think about it, I feel like the least he can do after causing such ruckus is to be in the room with me now, so that I will not be alone with my awful thoughts.

I run my fingers through my hair to my face. My cheeks and under eyes are wet. I have been crying.

After pondering for a few seconds, I remember something. It was brief, but it left me a lasting impression. Before I woke up from my slumber, I had the weirdest dream.

It went as followed.

I find myself walking in the forest. It is nighttime and no one is around. As I made my way through the countless tress, I came across a cabin. I open the door and there seems to be lack of life; it is completely vacant.

Just as I am about to leave the cabin, I hear my name being call out from upstairs. Against my better judgement, I follow the voice, leading me to a room. There is nothing in the room, except a single dresser with a mirror.

I have seen this scene several times in horror movies. I know better than to walk towards it, but I am drawn to it. Stepping in front of the mirror, I see myself, a reflection.

Despite the similar appearance, the reflection feels like a different person. I cannot shake off an overwhelming feeling of sadness upon gazing at the mirror.

I am stuck in thought when I hear my name being call out again. It is coming from the reflection. I am surprised but do not feel scared. I feel safe.

The reflection says, "the time has come. It's our turn to be happy."

I question, "how can I be happy? I just hurt someone I cared about for nothing, for no one of importance."

"We both know that he isn't just a no one. He is our love," the reflection argues.

I huff away the idea. I would not get as far as calling Joshua my love. I want to tell the reflection off, to tell her to get the facts straight.

But, the reflection says, "Lilly, looks aren't what they seem. You will be tested now and until the day you die. We got a second chance, but nothing comes free. People will try to destroy you and them. They will attempt to use you. Don't allow it."

"Them," I wonder.

Smiling, the reflection answers, "yes, them. Our mates. We were so blinded by the passing of our first love that we lost the opportunity of a new one. Now, we can start again."

Although I am having a conversation with my reflection, I know that the girl I am seeing is not one hundred percent me. I also know what my reflection is referring to.